+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default parents downstairs/kids upstairs - does this work?

Would this work? Is it a weird? We are in the middle of renovations which will transform our elevated three bedroom house to a two story 5 bedroom house with 2 bathrooms and two living areas ( both downstairs).

It won't be for ages but I am trying to work out who goes where when 3rd bubba needs to move out of our room ( which is very small with a qs bed plus baby stuff).

I am thinking of putting the two boys ( DS1 is now 3) and the baby when he's old enough ( about 1y - depends on how much he wakes up in the night) into our current bedroom as more room, DD5 can stay where she is and the spare room would have a single bed in it for guests or us if needed.

Meanwhile DH and I could move downstairs into the new bedroom. The catch is - we won't have an internal staircase ( this is common in the north - don't think it is so common down south?). So - to get downstairs we need to go out the front door and down the outside stairs which I am not so keen on - they will feel so far away!

Anyway - would this work? Is it strange to have kids and parents on different levels? Anyone else do it? There would be another big bedroom downstairs we could use in some way if needed...

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't be happy with an external staircase. It'd feel like they were in a whole other house.

Can you work an internal staircase into the renos?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope - I really wanted it and it may be on the cards eventually but at this stage we just don't have room in the budget - I am more keen on it the DH as I grew up down south and he grew up in the north so this style of house - two story with an external staircase is the norm for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I deffinately wouldnt do it unless there was an internal stair case... :s

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    External staircase? No way! What if kids need toilet?

we renovated 12 months ago. We now have 3 bedrooms upstairs and a bathroom. We have our 11 week old in our room, and two others upstairs (4 & 2) and I'm not sure what to do once number 3 is ready for her own room. I actually feel a bit uncomfortable being downstairs without them. We will do this eventually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The levels wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me. But the external staircase would be.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (04-03-2013),HugsBunny  (04-03-2013)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ck2b View Post
    Nope - I really wanted it and it may be on the cards eventually but at this stage we just don't have room in the budget - I am more keen on it the DH as I grew up down south and he grew up in the north so this style of house - two story with an external staircase is the norm for him.
    Then honestly? I'd keep saving :-/ but that's just me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, what if there's a fire or an intruder or a sick child or a nightmare? Nope

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (04-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can the boys not share a room?

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a toilet downstairs so that is no issue... by the time we saved for the staircase - they'll be teenagers and want to be downstairs anyway!!! Maybe we'll just have to squeeze the two boys in together...it's also the external staircase that is putting me off.