+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default an awkward moment this morning...

I was walking into playgroup with my kids and another mum and her 2 kids also...i dont know the ladies at playgroup very well as we only joined recently.
    Anyways, her 3-4 yr old son comes running up to me and said this:
    "My mummy had a baby in her belly but it stopped growing and a doctor had to take it out with a tool."....
    His mum quickly came up behind him and told him to only say that to her.
    I still cant shake off how awkward i felt as i just didnt know what to say to him spur of the moment (i didnt even know she was pregnant).
    So i just said: oh, ok that would have made your mum sad, i hope ur looking after her.."
    Then his mum and i had this awkward silence and i asked if she was ok? She said "oh, u know im getting there.".....
    i have no bloody idea what shes going thru right now and i felt so oblivious to her situAtion. (i just had a baby 9weeks ago) i then felt bad about talking about my baby infront of her to the other ladies who asked, so i was a bit blunt and kinda kept walking of to play with DD.....

Such an awkward morning not just for me but probably even more for this poor mum who lost her baby and possibly didnt even want me knowing about it.
    I just had to get it off my chest.
    What to do in these situtions?!

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oh wow. I think you handled it quite well by asking her if she was ok and leaving it at that. I would have frozen up and kind of avoided it completely which would probably be worse in that situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think your comment to the kid on the spur of the moment was very kind. I certainly wouldn't have been able to say something as eloquent as that off the cuff. Although it was awkward, the way you acknowledged it was very compassionate without pressing her to give you more information.

As for your baby, some things can't be helped. Im sure she wouldn't want you to feel bad.

Its just one of those awful and complicated moments really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think you handled it really well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hugs on the awkward moment but I agree in thinking u did really well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agreed with PPs - you did well! What you said to her DS was actually really sweet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What you said was really nice I highly doubt I would have been able to think of something nice like that right on the spot. I think I would have got a mind blank

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds very awkward. I think you handled it really well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ditto. Lovely response in an awkward situation