+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Gender Reveal Parties?

Has anyone here actually had a gender reveal party before?
    The idea behind them is that you ask the sonographer to write down the gender and put it in an envelope without telling you. Then you take the envelope and give it to a cake maker who will make the cake (or cupcakes) with pink or blue colour inside the cake. You cut the cake at the party and reveal the gender to everyone!

I've been looking them up on Youtube as they seem like a huge hit in America. I want to do one when I'm pregnant but DH thinks it is overkill. What do you think? If you've had one, did your guests think it was weird or did they love it?

I'm thinking when it comes to it I'll just order two little gender reveal cup cakes and keep it as a personal thing between DH and I.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wanted to do one for my last baby, I think it's such a cute idea!

However I was worried about people's reactions to me having another baby so I never announced my pregnancy - which meant no gender reveal party.

It's a much nicer way to find out than a stranger looking at a screen saying "it's a ..."

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I love the idea of the cake revealing the gender and all that, but I do think the idea of having a party just to reveal the gender is a bit...I dunno...indulgent I suppose. Maybe if it was a part of the baby shower instead it would be better and part of the fun.

Saying that, who am I to tell people what party they should have for their babies....if you want to do it, go for it and bugger what anyone else thinks

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (04-03-2013),Pumpkaboo  (04-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    we sort of did.

We had the sonographer write it down and then we went out to dinner and DS opened the envelope and announced the gender it was lovely and we took a picture of him holding up the bit of paper and we put that on FB.

We wanted DS to know first and for us all to find out together.

I am so glad we did it that way, it was so exciting and so nice for DS...it was just perfect.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Pumpkaboo  (04-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's such a cute idea! I want to do it with my next bub but will probably have it just be immediate family at the 'party'. Like have dinner and then cut the cake for dessert!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to callmedragon22 For This Useful Post:

Pumpkaboo  (04-03-2013)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    we sort of did.

We had the sonographer write it down and then we went out to dinner and DS opened the envelope and announced the gender it was lovely and we took a picture of him holding up the bit of paper and we put that on FB.

We wanted DS to know first and for us all to find out together.

I am so glad we did it that way, it was so exciting and so nice for DS...it was just perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by callmedragon22 View Post
    I think it's such a cute idea! I want to do it with my next bub but will probably have it just be immediate family at the 'party'. Like have dinner and then cut the cake for dessert!
    I prefer both these ideas.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I wanted to do it (instead of a shower) for this bub as I didn't have a baby shower for DS and wanted to have something 'special'. Unfortunately we're nowhere near friends and family so it just didn't happen this time.

I thought it would be really fun to have a bbq and a few drinks for those that could drink though. No presents or anything, just a bit of a celebration.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's cute but don't know if I would do it

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a cute idea but not something I'd do personally.

Plus sometimes techs aren't very certain of gender.

Thanks
    Reviews
    First I've heard of it, but it sounds cute I wouldn't, but mainly because we don't have a huge circle of friends and our families are a fair distance away and away from each other as well (iykwim). A BBQ or small get together would be nice, with the cake for dessert