+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well I was in the same position last week - but it was my boy who did the pushing

This was the first time ever that I've seen him push someone, and same thing, I dont know if he was provoked or not, there was a toy that they were both playing with and I assume neither kid wanted to share- but that doesn't matter... Pushing is NOT ok!

I was mortified, virtually in tears that my ds (turned 3 a month ago) did this.
    We went over to the little girl he pushed and apologized profusely. I swear I almost throttled ds. I was hurt, sad and totally embarrassed that my normally placid kid did that to someone. We left straight awY - no more playing for that day and he had to sit in the pram rather than walk.

So anyways I think the least any parent could do is apologize to the other child and mum. Whether the child understands that they did the wrong thing is irrelevant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    Well I was in the same position last week - but it was my boy who did the pushing

This was the first time ever that I've seen him push someone, and same thing, I dont know if he was provoked or not, there was a toy that they were both playing with and I assume neither kid wanted to share- but that doesn't matter... Pushing is NOT ok!

We went over to the little girl he pushed and apologized profusely. I swear I almost throttled ds. I was hurt, sad and totally embarrassed that my normally placid kid did that to someone. We left straight awY - no more playing for that day and he had to sit in the pram rather than walk.

So anyways I think the least any parent could do is apologize to the other child and mum. Whether the child understands that they did the wrong thing is irrelevant.
    I'm so sorry this happened to you - I too would've been mortified if it had been my DS doing the pushing (and I'm not so naive to believe he never will either - boys will be boys!)

I was talking about it to my Mum later and she was telling me I shouldn't have said 'It's alright' as it wasn't really 'alright' and DS was quite hurt/upset. Mum reckons I should've just said nothing and concentrated on calming down DS and left it at that. I felt bad for the other Mum though so I was just trying to sort of downplay the situation! Very awkward really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post

I don't have to worry about this just yet as my DS is only 12 months old, but I couldn't read your post and not reply. Sounds to me like you did a wonderful job dealing with your son having pushed another child, how you reacted would have been a perfect role modelling of how other people are affected by his actions. I only hope I will have the same level of humility when my time comes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd say that's not nice or something if the parents didn't do anything. If my children pushed theywoukd b in time out and the othrt child would b allowed a turn on whatever the fight was over first. The have to learn negative consequences for things like pushing hitting etc. I know whst u mean though. I hate it when kids r mean to mine and DS 3 seems to think he's 13 not three and will try and hold his own no matter how old the other child is! DD will usually just cry!