+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Symptoms when stopping?

So I stopped full time pumping a couple of days ago and I'm wondering what's going on. I was pumping about 6-8 times a day (bub was exclusively given ebm) then 4-6 times then about 2-4 and then nothing. My breasts haven't been that sore or w gorged or anything. But I'm wondering when my period would return. Tonight I've got a dodgy tummy and don't feel great. I used to get this sometimes before my period. So I'm wondering if its my hormones or I've caught a bug? Has anyone experienced this kind if thing when stopping? I also stopped taking motilium so I wonder if that's affecting me. ???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No! I didn't realize I needed to wean off the motilium.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Tamtam I just did the exact same thing- stopped pumping about 1.5 weeks ago and I had stopped motillium cold turkey without realising it was something I needed to stop gradually! I felt a bit off for a few days! I then started taking the pill and hopefully AF begins with the placebo pills. I haven't had any ovulation signs in the past 1.5 weeks either, but with the pill I'm not sure how it all works...
    Be interested to hear others experiences with this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahhh crap. I didn't even think about ovulating. Would it be too early to stsrt the big O? I often get diarhea (tmi) when I'm ovulating.

On the other side if things I was seriously sad to give up the ebm for Chloe. I was doing so well but I was struggling with her high needs and the time!! As long as she does well on formula

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally understand, I cried for the first time in ages when I stopped, especially because DD is so precious and fragile. But she is doing really well on the formula so that's all that matters, not my silly emotions! I think we need big pats on the back though for exclusively pumping for months!

As for O I was under the impression you could O as soon as you stopped bf/pumping and that some people may even start to O if their babies start sleeping through the night because of the gap between feeds. But everyone is different, a friend of mine took months for AF to return after completely stopping feeding.

How funny to find someone in such a similar situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    GM... Does your bub have special needs? Chloe has a serious heart condition and a rare syndrome. Bottke feeding was the only way to increase her weight. Same for formula as the calories can be closely monitored. I sort of feel like I let her down which I know is crazy. Because I also feel relieved. Bit off track from my thread there!!! Oops.

Thanks
    Reviews
    BFing/pumping & AF are not super closely linked. I got AF 7 months after my kids were born, while I was still BFing more than 4 times a day. I was most unimpressed. Other women get AF at 6 weeks when exclusively BFing and others get it at 12 months, after stopping BFing at 4 months. But, usually you will ovulate 10 - 14 days BEFORE your first AF, so be warned about getting pregnant!

So, in answer to your question, could it be AF (or ovulation) making you feel funny, well it could, but it most likely would be unrelated to stopping pumping.

I had to stop BFing my ds when I got gastro & my milk dried up, so I didn't feel well at the time. I got my milk back a few days later & nearly ended up with mastitis, as it had been such a quick wean. It was a necessary wean as I was going back to full time work though. I nearly got mastitis on & off for 6 - 8 weeks, but then it settled down and I was fine.

With my dd I weaned more slowly (over a month) and now, 5 weeks later all is good. No issues, symptoms, problems at all. She loves her milk in a bottle & she's happy & healthy and I don't need to worry about pumping for work, etc. Life is a lot easier for us.

I hope you feel better soon and enjoy life without pumping

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interesting. I also got what I thought was a period about four weeks after she was born. It coincided with when she was in PICU for open heart surgery so I thought the stress and everything. That's when I stopped bfing and started pumping full time. My ob said it was probably not af though. That was 8 weeks ago.
    Why are our bodies so complicated!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tamtam my DD was born at 25 weeks and was classed as IUGR as she was weight of 23-24 weeks, and she is still struggling to put on weight. She had calories added to my EBM for 3.5 months. She is doing really well considering though! A lot will be wait and see as she gets older to determine what long term effects it's all had.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post
    Tamtam my DD was born at 25 weeks and was classed as IUGR as she was weight of 23-24 weeks, and she is still struggling to put on weight. She had calories added to my EBM for 3.5 months. She is doing really well considering though! A lot will be wait and see as she gets older to determine what long term effects it's all had.
    I also had calories added to my ebm. I hope she is doing well after a rough start. I'm sure you and I have much in common when it comes to hospitals and feeding and weight gain and pumping!! Though I cannot imagine what the worry is like having a micro premie. I bet she's cute as!