+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lactose overload or milk protein allergy

As the topic suggests I hoping someone could share their experience on either.

DS is 11.5 weeks and EBF. He has always had lots of poos a day. At 6 weeks he had mucous for a day or so. Twice in the last week he has had a lot of mucous again and today 2 tiny spots of blood twice. The colour is still yellow with some curds but quite runny as it has always been. He is mostly a happy baby that sleeps and settles well but passes gas a bit.

I have had oversupply issues early on and the last two nights I have been incredibly engorged again due to a change in his feeding pattern.

I'm not sure if i should be concerned about milk allergy or if it could just be due to my supply and let down (it sprays everywhere)

I would appreciate hearing from people who have experienced similar. I want to continue bf and am prepared to try elimination diets

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like my little man in the early days. Try expressing off the first part the lactose is all in the foremilk. So if it's a lactose issue limit the amount of foremilk he is getting. Hope that helps. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kpet View Post
    As the topic suggests I hoping someone could share their experience on either.

DS is 11.5 weeks and EBF. He has always had lots of poos a day. At 6 weeks he had mucous for a day or so. Twice in the last week he has had a lot of mucous again and today 2 tiny spots of blood twice. The colour is still yellow with some curds but quite runny as it has always been. He is mostly a happy baby that sleeps and settles well but passes gas a bit.

I have had oversupply issues early on and the last two nights I have been incredibly engorged again due to a change in his feeding pattern.

I'm not sure if i should be concerned about milk allergy or if it could just be due to my supply and let down (it sprays everywhere)

I would appreciate hearing from people who have experienced similar. I want to continue bf and am prepared to try elimination diets

Bf babies poo A LOT!!!! and its normal... so your supply is definitely great cos your son is pooping out the excess.

yellow curd like poo is normal.... It will stay like this till solids start. Might become pasty ie like toothpaste consistency.

I think you have lots of foremilk too. you need to block feed. So just feed from 1 boob for 3-4hrs. no matter how many times bub wants to nurse - just use the one boob. then switch over. this way you get the fatty hindmik and less high sugar foremilk which can cause odd poos.

also does bub have a cold? often mucous from cold/snot appears in the poo. If the poo is frothy and green then that could be an intolerance.

try the block feeding for a week and then reassess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for replies.

I have done block feeding with no change. As it is he only feeds every four hours in the day and anything from 4-8 hours at night. It's yellow/mustard in colour with little to no curds, but shiny and mucousy most of the time. Maybe mucous is from his nose. He's sniffly all the time.

I'm hoping I'm just over analyzing. He's weight gains have averaged 250g or more a week since birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Are you seeing a snot like substance in the poo? Or is it like a glossy paint?

My dd2 had glossy yellow poop the consistency of paste and it was fine. She is also a 200-250gm a week gainer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This was exactly like dd2 turns out she had a blood test that said she was lactose intolerant turns out she really had allergies to milk egg wheat and peanuts best to go get bubs checked so you know for sure what's going on

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Are you seeing a snot like substance in the poo? Or is it like a glossy paint?

My dd2 had glossy yellow poop the consistency of paste and it was fine. She is also a 200-250gm a week gainer.
    Mostly glossy but then occasionally snot like.

At 6 weeks gp wasn't concerned due to gains and general temperament.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD was cows milk protein intolerant and her poo was full of mucous and blood. But she also had terrible reflux, screamed 6+ hrs everyday, was refusing to feed and losing weight.
    If there are no other symptoms, it could just be mucous from a runny nose, etc, but if something else is worrying you, it couldn't hurt to get it checked out. And of course, if it persists, I'd definitely be seeking medical advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. I saw my ECHN and she had a good look at his nappies and said all looks normal.