+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advice on throwing child's first party with friends

My DS has no cousins (aunties and uncles yes, but they have no kids) and will be turning 3 soon. I haven't thrown a kids party before but would really like to. My dilemma is the invite list. He has 4 friends at child care that I'd like to invite (and their parents) and a couple of friends from my mothers group (the couple we still catch up with), plus our friends with kids and the aunties, uncles and grandparents. All up I think there would be around 15-20 kids ranging in age from 2-6 years, plus adults.

My concern is in relation to the child care friends. I don't know the parents other than from a casual hello as we pass at the door and I don't know how they would feel coming along to a party where the majority of guests are friends and family. We have been to one child care party in the past but it was purely for friends from child care and play group as they had a separate family party.

If I have a separate family function it means my DS is solely the centre of attention and the only child (just like any other family gathering) so its not really the special feel I'd like to create for his birthday. Plus it's more work to throw two gatherings.

What would other people do? Combined huge party - including people you don't know or a separate friends (children's party)? All advice appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For DD1s 3 rd birthday we had a combined one so all family came and so did friends from childcare etc. it was fine everybody seemed to enjoy themselves, especially DD as she had all her friends and family there.

We took DD2 to a birthday party for a friend from daycare. It was a second birthday party. It was also a combined one and there was a lot of family there. I felt quite awkward as I knew nobody, not even any of the mums from their childcare.

I think a lot depends on the hosts and their ability to include and make everybody feel welcome

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice. Making people feel awkward is what I'm worried about (I hate being in situations like that myself, especially when you are at a function when everyone else seems to know someone). But I guess if I can make them feel welcome and introduce them to my friends and other child care parents it won't be too bad. I have a lot of friends who are great at talking to others and making them feel welcome so that should help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have taken dd to several parties were I don't know anyone, we still go dd plays with the birthday friend and other kids and I manage to mingle in. It is nice for the host to introduce guests but also the guests redponsibility to make an effort to.
    If they are really socially awkward and shy they probably wouldn't go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've done both and prefer 2 separate parties. I find if we have our extended family and the friends there its all too much for the guest of honour.