+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The midwife that looks after you in the c section asked me before I went in. I told her yes. They weighed him and less that 2 mins later he was in my chest. He didn't last long there though as I was a bit woosy and so overwhelmed with emotion that I asked for DH to hold him. The greatest and the thing that sticks in my mind about the birth is DH standing by me holding our son with the most living adoring nurturing look in his eye.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For my last c section bubs was pulled out, shown to me over the drape. Then taken to be cleaned up and all that. Bubs was wrapped in a blanket and brought to me to hold - its awkward.

Then dad held bubs until we all went to recovery. Bubs was then unwrapped and we had skin to skin and a feed. I asked for skin to skin immediately in theatre however was told that it is too cold in there for bubs to be unwrapped. Bubs was then kept on my chest, skin to skin for the ride back to my room and for a few hours after.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had an emergency (Cat2) csection with a spinal block. They dopped the curtain slightly and held her up as soon as she was out then took her over to the bub-station to wipe her down, do 1st apgar score and DH cut the cord. They then brought her over onto my chest (swaddled/beanie) and I had a cuddle while the were stitching me up.

They took her again while I was taken off the table and I think she was taken to the nursery. I'm not sure but it was somewhere that a relative was in the corridor and could take photos (not happy Jan - but that's a different story!). DH left the theatre before me, I think so he didn't need to see the mess, and then DD was brought in when I was in recovery (they had enough staff to do this) and once I could wiggle my toes (which was right away) I was allowed to hold her and feed.

The midwife also offered to take photos with my camera of her birth, cord cutting and cuddles which was so lovely.

If I end up with another C, this time I will organise it so DH will stay with bub whenever it is taken away from me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a csection and they took bubs over to the side in my view and gave her a rub and check over. Only took a few minutes as all was well. She was then placed on me and I BF right away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With mine they took her to clean her cut the cord and then layed her on my shoulder with her dad holding her underneath so I could hold her, then we moved to recovery and they pulled my gown down and attached her for feeding she was with me the whole time other than getting her chord cut

Thanks
    Reviews
    So it seems in genral they r taken away for a short period before going to mum? I don't want this, I want bub brought straight to me and there he stays. I don't want him cleaned up or wrapped up. Apgars cane done while your holding them...none of my others where taken away for Apgars. It all seems so clinical. Van it be requsted none of this is done?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my c section babies were handed straight to me and I bf on the operating table while they stitched me up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ck2b View Post
    So it seems in genral they r taken away for a short period before going to mum? I don't want this, I want bub brought straight to me and there he stays. I don't want him cleaned up or wrapped up. Apgars cane done while your holding them...none of my others where taken away for Apgars. It all seems so clinical. Van it be requsted none of this is done?
    I don't think they "clean" them up anymore like they did a few years ago when I had my first baby. They just hand them over all gunky and they stay covered in the afterbirth until their first bath (least that what happened with me second time round).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I did not get to hold my baby until over 3 hours after her birth. It was an emergency, my husband didn't make it to the birth as it all happened too quick, but he did get to the hospital just as she was being wheeled into maternity ward and I was taken to recovery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an emergency C/S with DD and they raised her over the curtain for me to see and then took her over to the pead who rubbed her down and sucked all the stuff out of her nose and mouth, they then wrapped her and bought her over for a cuddle however I did not want to cuddle her - I was shaking quite a bit from the spinal block (a very common side effect) and I also felt very heavy in my chest from the spinal block so the thought of having weight put on me was too much!! It's not that I didn't want to hold her I actually just felt it was not physically possible. DH left the operating theatre while they put me back together and took her back to my room where he sat and held her until I came back from recovery. I guess the nice part is that DH really loved the first 30 minutes of her life being alone with her and having her all to him self.