+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default holding bub immediately after a section? how does this work?

I am looking st a possible c section and I was wondering what happens after the baby is out? Immediately after? My two previous VB where straight on my chest after being pushed out then there they stayed for a good while. It was one of my favorite parts of the births. From what I've seen in telly in a section, you get a sideways glance, they take bub away, rub them down, wrap them up and then the father holds them. Is thus what happens here? When do u get to hold ur baby? I am not keen on this at all. I
    Last edited by Mod-RaryGirl; 03-03-2013 at 22:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've often wondered the same and am turned off c section because of this...

I'm interested to know too

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It depends, the first time I didn't get to have the babies (twins), because they came really late at night - 11pm or something and they couldn't spare the staff to bring them into recovery. The second time, they let me take my baby into recovery because it was in the day and there were enough people on staff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it depends on why for the c section to be honest. I got a sideways glance! But my bub had a heart condition that required immediate monitoring. So DH got a cuddle then she was straight to NICU. After I was 'fixed up' so to speak I was wheeled to her bed in NICU and she was put on my chest for cuddles, I'm sure if bub is fine then it happens ina different way. It wasnt long til I got my first cuddles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With my first c-section I was holding ds once he was wrapped/been checked, the my DH had him in recovery (whilst I was getting stitched up which took maybe 5mins)and they had skin on skin. Once I got into recovery he was put straight on the boob. With my dd I held her again once she was wrapped/checked but couldn't take her into recovery with me as there weren't enough midwives to stay with me. So she went with my DH back to our room and I was in recovery for maybe 30mins. I had no issues feeding or bonding with either children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had two c-sections. Both times, the baby has been "born", held up for me to see, then taken over to the table to be cleaned up, throat cleared, appear tested, etc, then bubs is brought over to me for a little hold and some photo's. from there, Dad leaves with the baby, I have been stitched up and sent to recovery, and the next time I see bub is when I am taken to my room.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I asked the midwife at my hospital appointment yesterday about this (just in case...not actually planning on c-section) and she said as long as the baby and mother are fine they generally pull bubs out, show you, rub baby down then either wrap or put on your chest and bubby stays there with you from then on.

Like PP have said, I guess it all depends on the reason for the c-section and if the baby and mother have any complications.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For my last c-section, DD was put straight on my chest after she was pulled out.

I cuddled her for a bit, and then she got taken over to be checked, and DH cut the cord. They wrapped her up and put her straight back on my chest.

That time, when I went to recovery babies weren't allowed in with you - so she and DH had a cuddle until I came out, and then she had her first BF straight away.

However, I'm going back for a 2nd c-section in a few months, and I've been told that babies ARE now allowed in recovery. So I imagine this time it will be the same, except I'll get to keep holding her/ feeding her in the recovery room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We do for electives......baby to be checked, wrapped and then brought back to mum in dads arms (usually within 5 minutes if all is good) for a snuggle.

They have your arms sort of sticking out from sides with drips and monitors attached to both of them, so we usually have to get dad to hold bub on mums chest in the most awkward position for a snuggle. Then skin to skin and breastfeed in recovery.

We take dad and baby to recovery first whilst the nurses are cleaning down mum and transferring her from the operating table to her bed. So about 5 minutes of dad waiting in recovery first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great question thanks for asking OP.

For those that have had bub put straight on chest, had you requested this or discussed this with your OB?