+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm going in tomorrow at 4pm for a round of gel. I have some monitoring to check heart rate, then go for a walk to see what happens. If nothing by 7pm, apparently I'll be sent home to wait.

If still nothing by morning, I go back at 7am for another round of gel. If that doesn't work then yes I'll be on the drip or waters broken.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced with my first DD. Went to the hospital on Sunday arvo had a stretch and sweep then the cervidel(tampon thing), stayed in hospital over night, no change in the morning so cervidel put in again, still no change that night so I had another stretch and sweep. On the Tuesday morning they broke my waters and put me on the drip, had DD1 in the afternoon finally!!
    I wasn't allowed to go home but I was fine to stroll around the hospital as much as I wanted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    My sister went in in the afternoon to have the tape inserted and was due to return the next morning. Contractions started at around midnight so she headed back in then.

I went into hospital as I was bleeding and had a hindwater leak. I was not allowed to go home, and the next morning my waters were broken. By then I was 3cm so I didn't really feel it.

I'm fairly sure that once they break your waters they will not let you go home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Normally induction can mean a overnight stay due to the pain relief that is given as the contractions are more intense quicker.

I was induced (with 2 x sets of gels and then they used the hook) and was kept 2 nights because of the epidural but if I didn't have that it would have been 1 night I found out that being induced doesn't shorten your labour any - I did 15 hours (5 of which at 1 min apart contractions).

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nervousmumtob View Post
    I am 35 weeks pregnant. The doctor wants to induce me at 38 weeks due to me having gestational diabetes and being on insulin. I am going to try and push that out to 39 weeks cause I feel I have more chance of my cervix being ready and hopefully less chance of an uncomfortable induction. From my limited reading I think there are one of two scenarios...

1. Cervix is ready - they break my waters using some kind of hook
    2. Cervix is not ready - they give me some kind of gel tampon

I was wondering if under both scenarios I should expect to stay in hospital overnight. That must potentially mean I don't go home until I have had the bub right?

And if anyone had "the hook" used...was it very uncompfortable? I am one of those girls who barely tolerates pap smears and when I had my first bub I found the internal examinations really uncompfortable.

Any insights would be most welcome!
    Geez I had 2 different scenarios but firstly once induced I stayed in hospital and wouldn't have felt at all comfortable being told I could go home tbh.

With ds1 I was given gel at 8am then a second lot of gel a few hours later, they thought my waters broke at 10pm that night but they hadn't broken properly so they were broken by ob the next morning. A long story short bub was finally born at 4pm.

With ds2 ob broke my waters straight up and labour was short and sweet, bub born 4hrs later.

If I have a third and was to be induced I would have my waters broken straight up again. The hook thing is uncomfortable but bearable, only takes a few seconds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one set of gels at 8pm (Missed packed to the rafters!) I was admitted and contractions started 1am next morning. DS was born 11:22am.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes you should be staying in over night.

My first child - induction (cervix ripe enough/ ready enough but not fully stretchy) They used gel in the morning and that night (slept in birthing suite) then they broke my waters next day and had my baby 8 hrs labour. Stayed at hospital for 5 days with no complications to bub or me.

My second child - induction (cervix ripe and ready) They broke my waters had bub 3.5 hrs later and stated in hospital 5 days with no complications.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was admitted over night..... Had gel around 8pm. Waters broken 9am the following morning.... Started having contractions all over the place so was put on the drip around 10am and bub arrived 5 hours later.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced with my second but with both my first and second I had the hook.
    It is uncomfortable I won't lie, however on the scale compared to birthing itself its nothing.

Staying overnight depends on how many children you have I believe, I've never heard of a first timer leaving same day.

I stayed (for my induction bub) for 4/5 days but that was due to complications more then anything else.

Sent from my iPhone :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced at 37 + 5 due to pre eclampsia. Arrived at 3pm was told two lots of gels. But I only needed one set at 7pm its uncomfortable then starts to throb esrly labour used heat packs till 3cm dialated 7am next morning had waters broken with hook had gas didnt feel any pain just a pop release of pressure. Due to high blood pressure had an epidural. But I had a patch where it didnt work so I could feel my contraction knew when to push. By 11am 10cm ready to push. 12.10 dd was born assist vacuum. Stayed in hospital for 5days. Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub