+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Did you stay in hospital overnight after induction?

I am 35 weeks pregnant. The doctor wants to induce me at 38 weeks due to me having gestational diabetes and being on insulin. I am going to try and push that out to 39 weeks cause I feel I have more chance of my cervix being ready and hopefully less chance of an uncomfortable induction. From my limited reading I think there are one of two scenarios...

1. Cervix is ready - they break my waters using some kind of hook
    2. Cervix is not ready - they give me some kind of gel tampon

I was wondering if under both scenarios I should expect to stay in hospital overnight. That must potentially mean I don't go home until I have had the bub right?

And if anyone had "the hook" used...was it very uncompfortable? I am one of those girls who barely tolerates pap smears and when I had my first bub I found the internal examinations really uncompfortable.

Any insights would be most welcome!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was kept in overnight for induction at 39 weeks. They administered the gel on Sunday night hoping it would start something. Which it didn't. So yes I had ARM done...hook thingy to break waters. I also hate pap smears and put them off. But I saw this as a necessary evil for some reason. I found the gel more uncomfortable actually and the hook thing was kind of weird but quick, not painful though. Just a little uncomfortable. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I was induced 3 times (in the one pregnancy).

The first 2 times were the "gel tampon," type thing you mention. Nothing happened. I went into hospital on a Thursday afternoon for the first attempt.

On Saturday evening, they tried some gel (some gel syringed up there). 24 hours later and nothing had happened (again) and my cervix was still not "favourable," so they couldn't artificially rupture my membranes. I was told I'd be having a caesarean the next morning (so Monday morning) and got to go home Sunday night.

While I was being induced though, I had to stay in hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Once you start the induction process you are committed to this baby coming out. Even the gel or artificial rupture of membranes can cause fetal distress, so yes you stay in hospital where you can monitored until the baby is born.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was induced without the gel, just with my waters broken via 'the hook'! I had to be at the hospital first thing on a Monday morning, I think it was 7am. They had the monitor on me for awhile first then by 8am by Ob was there to break my waters. Having them broken wasn't painful, just a little bit uncomfortable. It was over very quickly, not unlike a pap smear (which I also get nervous about). I was extremely anxious about the whole situation as well which probably didn't help as my entire body was quite tense. As he went to do it I kind of clamped my legs shut (in hindsight, I am laughing at this!) and my Ob was like 'Are you okay...?' Lucky I had a very, very sympathetic midwife who helped to calm me down somewhat before they proceeded.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did. I had a stretch and sweep in the afternoon, then went into hospital at midnight and had the gel put in. Nothing happened so at 6AM I had my waters broken.

I find pap smears much worse than the hook!
    Last edited by callmedragon22; 03-03-2013 at 16:40.

strawberry swing is offline not so patiently waiting for the 1st of july!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I was kept over night, they used a balloon catheter on me.
    I went in for a routine 40+4 appointment and dd wasn't coping to we'll with the small contractions I was having, I didn't leave from that appointment.

luckily we had all the bags in the car just in case.

I had waters broken the following morning and didn't feel a thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had a stretch and sweep and then was sent home, another week later I went in for induction, and yup, they kept me in until I started labour. I had 6 pesseries, they broke my waters with the arm thing (I had had sooo many internals by that time that I didn't even notice) and then the syntocinon. Took 68 hours all up.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I had 2 lots of the gel to no avail.

I'm assuming that if the gel or ARM (breaking the waters) doesn't work you will be given a canulla with syntocin which is what most people mean when they talk about induction. Gel or ARM will often do nothing, I think most women who are induced end up with syntocin to induce the labour.

ETA: I was in hospital for 3 nights after I had DS (induced with syntocin) but that was because I had a 3rd degree tear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ask you dr about hospital policy, not all hospitals keep you in after receiving the gel.