+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    A friend of mine told me to soak vegies in boiled water for two hours then rinse before use.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didnt eat shop bought pasta salads as the contamination can be in both and they are all made in the same place. There would be a slightly higher risk because the deli salad is handled more. I did eat some high risk food while preg then worried like anything after which def made it not worth it. Only last year a woman had a miscarriage from eating listeria contaminated cheese yet I still see other mothers saying its all safe and nothing to worry about

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love salad but both my ob and kidney dr said any kind of pre made salad from either woollies or a salad bar is the worst thing for food poisoning or listeria so I stay well away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    'Fancy' lettuce, bitter leaves, spinach etc that are sold loose/prepagged have a high risk because they blemish easily. If there is listeria on them it gets into the blemishes it's a great breeding ground and hard to wash out (as it's 'in' the veg). That would be one screnario where the lettuce=listeria would come from. The other could be when a cos/iceberg lettuce is chopped without being peeled apart and washed first, or if it is prepared and left for more than a day.

I wish I had a vegie garden up and running because I sooo miss spinach in my juice!! (I did so much research on this to see if I should still use the pre-bagged stuff, including food safety reports etc and decided definitely not).

Your level of listeria caution will be a personal choice. I relaxed a little on my second pregnancy and then miscarried, not listeria related but I just can't handle any doubt. I'm even more paranoid than I was with DD (DH didn't actually think that would be possible - lol).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mama and her little bear View Post
    The pasta and potato salads no and it sucks because I REALLY crave them when pregnant :thumbdown:
    Same here. It's funny the things you think you can eat before your prgenant and then you find out what you shouldn't.