+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Salad

Does anyone eat pre made salad (potato and pasta) not from the deli but the ones pre packed in the fridge?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You're not supposed to......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope. I only eat salads I make myself or from a restaurant. I don't even eat salad from cafes that are made in the morning and sold through the day. You just never know! Some places put msg in the salad and I've gotten food poisoning on several occasions from places you would never expect.

up in the sky so high zoom zoom zooma zoom zoom
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep i have done and do on the odd occasion, i eat what i feel like, if its pasta salad from woolies then yep. I eat it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lozie For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (03-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So if listeria can be found on lettuce, how would that be killed in a home made salad? Because isn't listeria killed by application of heat and it lettuces are sitting at the supermarket being sprayed with water to keep them fresh surely even a home made salad could be considered a risk if it isn't cooked? I'm just curious, my brain likes the tear thins apart lol. As for the ops question I didn't with dd1 haven't been faced with the prospect this time but I love pasta salad from Coles, so I may eat it one day lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PipersMummy For This Useful Post:

Lozie  (03-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ate the packaged salads (pasta and potato), the ones from the deli, bagged mixed salad leaves, brie, camembert, salami...I wasn't really a very good pregnant lady lol. Oh...the scandalised/outraged looks I used to get!

But yes, I believe it is recommended you abstain from such foods while you're pregnant.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lyria7 For This Useful Post:

Lozie  (03-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't end up eating it but still craving it! I think I should just listen to what my mum says "there were none of these rules when I was pregnant"
    I honestly think its all taken a but too far but because of all the talk it does make me a little paranoid!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It still confuses me though, as to how washing in water is enough to kill it it would be impossible to wash off all traces, who knows lol I do however feel like pasta salad now

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never heard of lettuce having listeria bacteria but the issue I have is that preparation surfaces & knives and serving utensils might be affected and especially where there are cold meats or soft cheeses like feta or even mayo (raw egg) etc cross contaminating between salads.. Or any food really (sandwiches, pastas etc). I'm clean eating anyway so I prepare most of my meals at home in any case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fruit and veg need to be washed thoroughly as they can be contaminated with other bacteria such as Salmonella. There have been outbreaks caused by contaminated bean sprouts and cucumbers.