+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When to buy baby items

When do you start buying baby related stuff? Do you wait after the 12 weeks period?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    First baby we brought cot and change table and pram before 12 weeks and then brought gender specific clothes etc after our 20 week scan.

Second baby didn't buy anything until after 12 weeks as we had had a loss previously.

This time we didn't buy anything until after 21 weeks, mainly because we have all big stuff, just wanted to buy a few small things once we found out sex.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have bought before 12 weeks, however sheets, clothes, bedding etc after 20 weeks as I found once I knew the sex I went off the 'unisex' stuff and didn't use it much after birth, so i wait till I know the sex before making those purchases now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I bought a few things after 12 weeks but bought most things incl all nursery furniture after the 20 week scan (literally drove straight to the baby store!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The later u buy stuff the longer the warranty lasts, which can be very handy with prams etc if any faults .... Or at least lay by and not collect til closer to due date
    But clothes/towels/toys/sheets etc any time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newmummy2010 View Post
    The later u buy stuff the longer the warranty lasts, which can be very handy with prams etc if any faults .... Or at least lay by and not collect til closer to due date
    But clothes/towels/toys/sheets etc any time
    such a good point! I didnt even think of that!

We only bought the pram before 12 week scan (because it was online on special). I think I bought everything else for the nursery a few weeks after the 20 week scan (although the tall boy and cot was gifted to us as 2nd hand items by family). I didnt buy ANY clothes because I knew I would get a stack of stuff at the baby shower. So I waited until after baby shower to buy things like towels, linen etc, and other bits and pieces I needed.

This time around, I dont think we will buy anything as DS has so many clothes, toys etc that he's grown out of, and a lot of the newbie stuff is quite unisex, even the toys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also brought each shop. Wipes. Laundry liquid/conditioner, other consumables when on special.

After my first arrived we never had to go out for groceries for 2 weeks & then only for fresh things. That was before home delivery here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Since 6weeks we have been keeping an eye on Ebay and Gumtree for the big ticket items we had our eye on. We checked them out at the local baby shops to decide what we wanted then have been researching online and waiting patiently for one at the right price.

So far at 9+2 we have the cot and pram. Both in amazing condition off ebay and have spent less than $250. Both have less damage than i anticipate we will be subjecting them too in the first few weeks of use so we are pretty chuffed.

We have plenty of bookmarked pages of stuff we like/want but will probably wait now for our 20week scan to confirm if we are going pink or blue. We were happy to accept that we would still have this stuff ready for this bub or the next if we encountered a loss.