+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How many weeks before the birth are you starting your maternity leave?

Hey girls,

At my work you have to start mat leave 6 weeks before the estimated date of delivery. If you want to work beyond that, you can, but you need a medical certificate.

At first I thought this was brilliant - I love the idea of having 6 weeks to finish getting everything organised, have a good rest, and mentally prepare myself for bubs. I've had severe nausea the whole pregnancy (currently 25 weeks) which is why I can't wait to finish up at work as it's been a real struggle for me to continue working.

However, I'm now wondering whether I will go a bit stir-crazy waiting for the birth for 6 whole weeks - particularly if he arrives late.

When are you starting your mat leave? Is 6 weeks the norm?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did 2 weeks with DD but will do 4 this time.

My work is the same as yours, 6 weeks normally but you can work later with a cert.

I won't lie... I was getting bored during my 2 weeks haha but, I was too exhausted at work and pretty useless so I so want to finish earlier this time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went on mat leave at 36wks with dd1... she arrived when I was 42wks pregnant. I was bored out of my mind and just ate way tooooooooooooo much.

DD2 - I went on mat leave at 38wks and she was born 39wks.

much preferred the second option - that way I didnt waste my maternity leave not having a baby to amuse me.

But I had boring uneventful pregnancies and other than a huge belly I had no other symptoms of pregnancy. So tiredness/exhaustion was not a motivator for starting maternity leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by Cinderella82; 10-08-2013 at 21:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm nor due for ages! Oct 16 however have been thinking about how much maternity leave and annual leave I can take. Don't want to be sitting at home too much before due date so at this stage thinking I will take three to four weeks off before due date. Though it obviously depends how I am traveling as it's my first pregnancy. though I agree I would rather keep as much leave as i could to spend time with bub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My work is the same. Initially I had intended to work up til 37 weeks. But like you felt sick and pretty much struggled through pregnancy. By the time I reached 34 weeks I'd pretty much had enough and decided to finish early. I absolutely did not get bored and enjoyed being able to rest. The time went fast and I was induced at 39 weeks. Thought I might regret finishing earlier but I didn't. Loved it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was planning on working up to 4 weeks before but got put in hospital with 5 weeks to go. Wish I had finished 6 weeks prior, could have done stuff that needed to be done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My plan is to work to 38 weeks. I think it will be a struggle but need the extra $$ and I get bored easily lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a teacher I legally have to leave 6 weeks before EDD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LaDiDah View Post
    As a teacher I legally have to leave 6 weeks before EDD.
    I'm a teacher. As long as you have a medical certificate you can work past 34 weeks. At least that's the case where I am.