+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    There was a news article posted here a few months back, about a mother who got charged with leaving her child unattended in the car when she ran in to pay for petrol, at all times she could see the car and child and she was away from the car for a minute tops. Who wants to take that risk? What you and I think is reasonable someone a police officers may not. Personally I think it is ludicrous, it is far safer for my kids to remain in the car rather than walking through the petrol station. But what are you going to do?
    If it's the one I am thinking about it was overturned by a judge - still not a nice thing to go through - Glad I'm in NSW. By using the same 'rule' children under the age of 12 shouldn't even be walking to school alone, it's nuts.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

beebs  (03-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    At my supermarket the trolley boy is pretty much there all the time waiting to take it and so I just give it to him or if he's not there I just leave it anyway as it's actually just on the walkway not in the carpark. It's not just me who does it either I've seen heaps of other people do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    2 kids, so basically one for each hand right?

Quote Originally Posted by Buttermilk View Post
    No matter how much people explain not wanting to leave kids in cars or risk runners in carparks, it seems unbelievable people leave trolleys lying about for that reason.
    I think we use our kids as excuses abit too much when we're being inconsiderate. There is no respect for peoples cars when your trolley could be the one that scratches it or causes damage.
    I have 2 kids under 4 19months apart and I manage to get my trolley back everytime, I really just think it's all excuses. I'd accept it if you admit it's just laziness and you don't care, rather than give the excuse its too hard to put it back. Because you managed to get it just fine, and surely you aren't finding stray trolleys in a perfect parking spot, close to the entrance every single time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have always put my kids back into the car and then unpacked the trolley and put it back in one of the bays in the carpark. If it's a hot day I leave the windows or the rear sliding door open, it usually only takes just a few seconds.

Not such a big deal now they are older, but I tend to still do the same thing - make sure DD3 has her harness done up so I know she can't wander off, unpack the trolley and then put it away.

When I had 2 smaller children this was the easiest and quickest option. I hate having a wiggly child in the seat of the trolley while unpacking it as they tend to roll more easily with the extra weight and movement in them and I'm always scared they are going to roll into the path of a car or dent/scratch my car or another car parked next to us.

The petrol station debate seems to come here quite regularly! I have always left my kids in the car while paying, never considered doing anything else until I joined BubHub and noticed it was one of those hot topics that always seem to get lots of heated posts!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Someone before said talk about a first world problem, I have to agree entirely, I cannot believe that some people are getting so upset about this. But if this is something that rates highly on the things that makes you upset, then I would say - Lucky you. Most people have rather more pressing things to deal with than wether people put trolleys back 100% of the time. As I said before, I've only not done it once or twice and I also dislike when they are left in the actual parking bays, but jeez - at the end of the day it really isn't that much of a big deal. Not like people with single babies taking the twin trolleys and putting their baby in one side and their bag in the other - now that is annoying!

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (03-03-2013),Eko  (03-03-2013),Kiplusthree  (03-03-2013),LoCo  (03-03-2013),MrsOhara  (03-03-2013),Purple Lily  (03-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Did you not read the part about the woman who was charged for going in to pay at the petrol station leaving her child in the car, she could see the car at all times. PP has said it was overturned in court - which is great. But how bleeding stressful, and I can't believe she was charged in the first place. So yes, police officers sometimes do charge people for ridiculous things. Not an excuse, fact.

Quote Originally Posted by chances View Post
    Lol I just think its crazy that people can't leave their kids in a locked car for 10 seconds to put a trolley back!

Breaking the law lol I would like to see a police man issue a ticket for that. Most trolley bays are less than 15metres from all cars what's the big deal. Excuses excuses.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (03-03-2013),peanutmonkey  (03-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did you not read the part about the woman who was charged for going in to pay at the petrol station leaving her child in the car, she could see the car at all times. PP has said it was overturned in court - which is great. But how bleeding stressful, and I can't believe she was charged in the first place. So yes, police officers sometimes do charge people for ridiculous things. Not an excuse, fact.
    The woman posted on another forum. If its the same woman, I'm fairly sure it was.
    She went in to a petrol station to buy crayons, left her son in the car. A man calls the police before coming to find her. She waited for police, police fined her. DOCS had to investigate as per procedure. DOCS found nothing wrong with what happened, police dropped the fine. It didn't go to court.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    I havent read any replies but it looks like I should. Wow, who knew a trolley thread could get so heated. Ahhh Bubhub, again thanks for the entertainment.

To answer the OP, yep we put our trolley back. DP is one of those people that is quite insistent on it actually. I will admit, there have been times where I have left it up on the pavement, 'snagged' on a pole so it doesnt roll away...but only a handful of times. I have never left it in the parking lot because I worry it will roll and hit another car and Id feel bad if I found out that happened cos Id be sh!tty if that happened to my car.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

beebs  (03-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    But the officer still fined her, so the people who are laughing "as if a policer officer would do that", well actually - they have done it. It is a grey area - even for them, and at the end of the day they can choose to leave it or take it further at their discretion.

It depends on the shopping centre as well, I have heard people say that their are bays every 15 meters. There is one shopping centre here that doesn't have any on an entire level you have to go halfway up the other level to the bay. As I said before I hate when people leave cars in the parking bays, so annoying. But I'm not going to freak out about it. Seems fairly trivial in the scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarity View Post
    The woman posted on another forum. If its the same woman, I'm fairly sure it was.
    She went in to a petrol station to buy crayons, left her son in the car. A man calls the police before coming to find her. She waited for police, police fined her. DOCS had to investigate as per procedure. DOCS found nothing wrong with what happened, police dropped the fine. It didn't go to court.

Thanks
    Reviews
    But the officer still fined her, so the people who are laughing "as if a policer officer would do that", well actually - they have done it. It is a grey area - even for them, and at the end of the day they can choose to leave it or take it further at their discretion.

It depends on the shopping centre as well, I have heard people say that their are bays every 15 meters. There is one shopping centre here that doesn't have any on an entire level you have to go halfway up the other level to the bay. As I said before I hate when people leave cars in the parking bays, so annoying. But I'm not going to freak out about it. Seems fairly trivial in the scheme of things.
    She was told she shouldn't have been fined in the first place. The fine itself seemed made up and inconsistent, which confused her.

At my local shopping centers there are bays in every row, or every second row. I can't think of anywhere that has any less. It must be different for other states. I've never ever been in a car park an struggled to find one in the time that I have been driving (5 years).

I don't really get it when people don't put trolleys away, but it is a first world problem. I just don't understand how people are so afraid of walking their kids to put the trolley away but have no issue doing so to get to the actual shop in the first place. The risk isn't any different.
    Last edited by Rarity; 03-03-2013 at 13:02.