+ Reply to Thread
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Default Fact or Old Wives Tale? Thin hair to thick hair

I remember years ago hearing that if a child had thin hair and you kept it short it would thicken. Now this does sound like a bit of an old wives tale to me but I was wondering if there was a modicum of truth in it? Has anyone else heard this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well this could of been coincidental but I cut some of DS hair when he was 18months and after that it went from being thin to thick
    Same happened for my niece (which is why I ended up chopping some of DS's)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was younger, I couldn't have long hair because it was so fine. But it does seem a lot thicker if I have it medium to short length (around my shoulders) and layered

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My mum kept my hair short until I was 12 using that reason as an excuse. I don't think it worked. All it accomplished was making me look like a boy. I would have have preferred long thin hair to short thick boy hair anyday.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (02-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    As an adult with super fine hair and one child who unfortunately got it too... there is a tiny bit of truth. DD's hair thickened a little bit. But at 34, obviously I can't count the amount of times it's been cut yet everytime I go to a new hairdresser I get told omg your hair is SO fine.

So I'm going to say mainly an old wives tale.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wives tale. When you cut straggly hair it will look thicker. But somehow stimulating brand new hairs to sprout from the scalp?

Thanks
    Reviews
    From my experience it's an old wives tale. My hair was always kept short as a child and it's still super fine as an adult. While keeping it short may give the illusion of more volume I can't see how cutting your hair can change hair shaft thickness.

Grandma would wash my sisters hair in Guinness to add volume (I got lemon juice).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have fine hair. Always had it long and I wanted to have it go thick. So I cut my lovely hair about a year ago in the hopes it would thicken.
    It didnt.
    It seemed thicker because all my hairs were the same length, instead of being layered like usual. But it was still thin. It still is thin.