+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default how do i get my 9 week old to sleep longer?

he does 40min sleep cycles sometimes less which i know is normal for a baby this age. Even when i baby wear him he wakes after 40mins, i walk around a bit rocking him and he goes back to sleep for another 40mins.
    I keep him up long enough (1-1.5hr max including feed time) and i comfort feed him to sleep and always start his sleeps in his bassenette. When he wakes i find it easier to baby wear him for another sleep cycle as i was spending 2hrs re-settling him bak to sleep with no success.
    When dd has her nap after lunch, ds is also due for a sleep and will start off in bassenette but only long enough for me to grab a bite to eat then i bring him to bed with me so i get a rest. He feeds and dozes on and off for 3 hrs. it's actually my favourite part of the day and i look forward to it.

Problem is, dh thinks im starting bad habbits with him. (can that even happen at 9weeks old??) ive got the rest of his life to drill routines in?!?!

I think he's a typical breastfed baby and im just trying to meet his needs. To be honest, he's out last baby and i actually enjoy wearing him and having him close to me, bringing him into our bed when he wakes too early in the mornings for milky snuggles.
    But i guess the little cat naps during the day are an issue that i need to address. i have a 2yr old who needs me also and spending half my time re-settling is just not an option.
    So what should i be doing to get my little man sleeping a decent hour or two during the day for his sleeps? He was great sleeper, but seems to have gone off the rails a bit since. (my fault?!)
    He feeds 2hrly, i follow a routine for him as best i can with a 2yr old! He's ok at night once he's asleep after 2-3hrs of re-settling/comfort feeding and wakes just once, last night he slept 9pm-6am.
    Last edited by Call me Zebra; 02-03-2013 at 08:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like you are doing a great job, and it can't be easy with a 2yo as well! And lucky you to have him sleeping through the night

Sounds like you just need to get him to link 2 of his 40 min sleeps by getting him to self settle after waking up from his first sleep. Baby wearing is lovely but he is going to start getting really heavy really quickly!

I started at about 10 wks doing a sleep time routine and it worked amazingly at getting 2 hr naps. I wrapped him nice and tight in his wrap, put him in the cot, gave him his dummy, and sang a little lullaby while stroking his head. Then I left him to fall asleep on his own. When he did wake up after 45 min or so he was able to go back to sleep as he was all nice and snug. This has really worked well and he's still having glorious 2hr naps like clockwork!

Good luck I'm sure you'll have him sleeping longer in no time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm sure he will grow out of his catnapping ways! DD2 was a catnapped and she grew out of it.

I'm a firm believer in "do what works for the now"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

Call me Zebra  (03-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have found with babies I've cared for or know that if they're having a decent sleep at night, they will cat nap through the day.
    The first 12weeks are the crappy times and bub still working out a sleeping pattern. Around 12weeks is when I've seen alot of babies start getting into their own routine.

So I think just keep doing what is essential to get sleep for him and yourself. You can't create a habit just yet.
    Remember bub was next to you for 9mths so takes more than a couple weeks to adjust.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleButterfly4 For This Useful Post:

Call me Zebra  (03-03-2013)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to agree, my DS did exactly the same thing at that age. I used to get him to sleep with me in the morning for an hour or so and that was the longest that he'd go all day long. It was driving me batty for a while!

But he'll grow out of it. When I had DS nap with me it wasn't something that he got into the 'habit' of doing, it was just something that we both had to do to get through the day .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You're doing a fantastic job

Have you tried a swing seat? That way if he does wake up after 40 minutes the rocking could put him back to sleep?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by callmedragon22 View Post
    You're doing a fantastic job

Have you tried a swing seat? That way if he does wake up after 40 minutes the rocking could put him back to sleep?
    he's too small for the one we have atm, he loves his bouncer but has never fallen asleep in it - i dont associate it with sleep tho and i'd prefer he sleeps in his bassenette - its just safer with a 2yr old running about.