+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Jumping on the couch

Ds is driving me nuts of late, he jumps on the couch and no amount of warnings and time out makes him stop. I feel like a broken record!! He's going to really hurt himself soon. Anyone have any tips for me???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing - how old is your DS?

Thanks
    Reviews
    20 months. When I sternly tell him to hop down he just laughs at me and gets back on. I spend my whole day telling him to get down. I'm newly pregnant and it's wearing me out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS is 13 months and he is obsessed with the couch and jumping on it. It has been a very fine line of ignoring him (we are sure he does it to get attention - his cheecky grin when busted gives it away) and making sure he is safe. We have put a mattress down to stop him falling but over the last 2 weeks he has become a bit bored of it and I think it's because we have stopped making such a big deal out of it. He liked it being a game and we stopped playing the game with him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my two do it as well. no amount of anything i say does anything. they are 2.5 & 4. when they fall off and hurt themselves, i say ''oh well, you wanted to jump, tough luck''. they stop crying and go away..

5 mins later, seriously, they are jumping again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD is 13 months and has decided that standing / sitting on the arm of the couch is fun, then climbs down giggling if we look at her!!!

So I've decided to say once if you fall it will hurt, then ignoring as Babyla said. I'm hoping it will become a novelty that wears out quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok babyla, I'll try that. Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with Babyla - DS is 18mths and I'm trying to ignore this instead. He has fallen a few times (nothing bad) and I say 'oh well, remember mummy said no jumping or you'll hurt yourself'.

I find if I pay too much attention to any naughty behaviour, he thinks it's funny so keeps going for a reaction at this age.