+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re-partnering: the financial side

Hi all.

I have been a single Mum to my 14 m/o since she was 2 months old. I started seeing someone in October last year and things are perfect - he is amazing with DD and just a sweet & thoughtful guy. We are moving in together in the next few months which means moving from a PPS to PPP - but DP earns so much that I am entitled to no PPP/FTB & childcare costs will triple. I understand why and I get it (so please no 'your DP earns enough, get over it' comments please), but for those who have repartnered, how did you deal with losing your financial independence? I work 3 days a week, but 70-80% of that will now go to childcare & DDs Dad isn't hugely helpful financially.

Anyway, just looking for any advice to help cope with the pride side of losing financial independence! Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I had to swallow my pride and let him pay half/most of the costs

Thanks
    Reviews
    ^^^ what Benji said

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    One of the expenses of him moving in is the loss of the PPS and the FTB so I think it only fair that the other expenses (even those of a child) are shared. Unfortunately with children- you go from 0-100 in 30sec. Very difficult to navigate. Good luck though- he sounds like a catch!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks . DP has said outright he doesn't mind paying for everything but it's definitely my pride getting in the way! Btmac - great idea . I still want to have my own money too!

How have you found contributing to things like rent and bills? Childcare takes up so much of my income, I would only really be able cover my car repayment, phone & PHI with little left over!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    Porkypies one way of dealing with household bills and unequal pay is to agree to each pay a certain percentage of your wages into the household bills. So if he earns $2,000 per week and you earn $500 per week but both pay 20% into the household that means he pays $400 per week and you pay $100. So you are each contribution equally... Hope that makes sense
    And then all expenses related to the house, kids, or both of you come out of this account. For example, all rates (electricity, Internet, etc), grocery shopping, car registration and insurance, home insurance, date night, child care fees, holidays, household purchases (new couch, fix the washing machine), etc.
    So you might find that 20% of your incomes isn't enough, and both contribute a higher percentage. Anything that isn't moved into that account is yours, and no explanations or justifications for what it's spent on are required.
    It's important to feel somewhat financially independent, otherwise resentment on both sides can build and ruin a relationship