Closed Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    As a midwife I usually describe that at handover as "Stretched was booked for an elective on Wednesday, but went into labour overnight so had an emergency cs at 3am this morning".

Im a bit confused as to where this code blue business is coming from???

Theres 4 categories used in Australia to describe a caesarean as defined by RANZCOG (Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians)

Cat 1 - Immeadiate threat to life of mother of foetus (Also called a crash section)

Cat 2 - Maternal or fetal compromise but not immediately life threatening

Cat 3 - Needing earlier than planned delivery but without currently evident maternal or fetal compromise.

Cat 4 - At a time acceptable to both the woman and the caesarean section team, understanding that this can be affected by a number of factors.

So cat 1 would your cord prolapse, uterine rupture, antenatal bleed, severe fetal distress anything that involves people running your bed to theatre and usually a general anaesthesia

Cat 2 would be something like where they've been a bit concerned about fetal well being for the last hour or so and they decide to Caesar before it gets worse. Usually happens within 30-60 minutes and time for an epidural etc. Usually for failure to progress as well

Cat 3 would the example of being booked for an elective Caesar but coming into birth suite in labour earlier that day. Needs to be done sometime that day but not an "emergency". Could also be for something like baby's growth stopping etc

Cat 4 is your booked planned electives

Hope that clarifies things
    Thank you for this very informative post - it confirms what I have been attempting to express (apparently poorly) that there IS a distinction between what you have now identified as Cat 1 and Cat 2.

The reference to code blue was in relation to my own experience (complete placental abruption).

Your description of Cat 1 is exactly what is written on my discharge summary; thank you for taking the time to share this info.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post
    Thank you for this very informative post - it confirms what I have been attempting to express (apparently poorly) that there IS a distinction between what you have now identified as Cat 1 and Cat 2.

The reference to code blue was in relation to my own experience (complete placental abruption).

Your description of Cat 1 is exactly what is written on my discharge summary; thank you for taking the time to share this info.
    Thats alright!! I've never heard the term "code blue" used before, the hospitals I've worked at usually just state Cat 1 Crash Caesar on the emergency phone and that gets everyone organized and moving

Cat 1-3 is still classified as an emergency Caesar.

Some paperwork we have an option to tick the Category of Caesarean, other paperwork just gives the option for emergency or elective and then reason for e.g elective repeat, elective due to prev 4th degree tear or emergency cord prolapse or emergency obstructed labour to clarify why and how the Caesar was done.
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 01-03-2013 at 17:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post
    I'm not sure how you can compare these threads and am quite shocked that you would.
    I'm shocked you would suggest women who have had emergency c-sections shouldn't use the term because their c-section wasn't as bad as yours.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (10-04-2013),GabberQueeN83  (10-04-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (01-03-2013),peanutmonkey  (10-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    I'm shocked you would suggest women who have had emergency c-sections shouldn't use the term because their c-section wasn't as bad as yours.
    If you re-read my OP you will see that I refer to an additional category, and that of course there are women who have had emergency cs's that are correct to use that term.

You're deliberately trying to construe my OP has inflammatory when that was not the intention.

Thank you to those who have actually engaged in a constructive discussion about terminology and/or offered suggestions on how I could refer to mine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This! I find your trivialising my c section. The drs words were " it's not a matter of if but a matter of now " ten mins later I'm getting rushed down a hallway .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by happygirl1982 View Post
    This! I find your trivialising my c section. The drs words were " it's not a matter of if but a matter of now " ten mins later I'm getting rushed down a hallway .
    Refer to my reply. You cannot say I am trivialising YOUR cs as I had no knowledge of YOUR circumstances when writing my OP (and still don't now). Plus, I made it clear in my OP and subsequent that there are, of course, women who have had emergency Caesars!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand what you are saying, but the OP is suffering from PTSD and maybe needs closure on this experience.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

sweetsugardumplin'  (01-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    The definition is a crock! Unscheduled doesn't necessarily equal emergency. It could just mean recommended and unexpected. Emergency is a time sensitive issue involving threat to life.

I get a teeny tiny bit annoyed when people refer to a C-Section as elective when bub is breech. It isn't 'really' elective if bub has a condition and medical staff advise a C-section is best.

How about 4 new categories: elective,
    Recommended (scheduled and ahead of schedule), necessary and emergency..?!
    Last edited by VicPark; 01-03-2013 at 17:41.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (10-04-2013)

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I liken it to someone turning up at the emergency department with a broken leg. It's not going to kill him but its still classed as an emergency.

My c/s was classed as an emergency and I was pushed through quite quickly however neither bub or I were in immediate danger. The danger was a possibility if I tried to birth naturally and I wasn't willing to risk it so opted for the cs. In all my hospital notes it was recorded as emergency cs.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Myztik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    OP, I think the thing to keep in mind is that it's a medical term, used by hospitals and doctors to differentiate between two situations.
    Yep. I had 2 elective c/s for breech. I hate the term elective. I didn't want a c/s nor choose it. The term annoys me, but that's the medical term. As others have said, before onset of labour is elective. After is emergency.

I feel for you OP. I've had a really traumatic birth, under different circumstances than yours though and years later it still effects me. Understandably you have unresolved issues, might a counsellor help?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

sweetsugardumplin'  (01-03-2013)

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast