Closed Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My cesarean section was also classed as an emergency. I went in in the Friday and they told me the twins were to be delivered that night or sat morning. Turns out they had no neonatal beds Friday arvo so I had to go home and come back early Saturday. On all my forms it states emergency csection.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well that'll fit the bill!

ETA: Although... As far as the hospital is concerned I suppose it's both unexpected and in need of immediate action. Hence "emergency".
    Last edited by lambjam; 01-03-2013 at 16:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with Lambjam, I think the mum of an unplanned c section would be just as frightened as a mum having an emergency c section (both have the same healing times as well). Both would feel like actual emergencies.

I had a pretty horrible labour, my DD came out of it with Erbs palsy and a broken arm, I had a million stitches (both of us are healing well now. DD is regaining use of her arm slowly but surely, the broken one healed very quickly ), I don't care if I'm classified with people who had a natural/ episiotomy birth. I'd actually rather people not know how horrific it was for us.
    Are people giving you a hard time about having a c section? If so I'd just tell them that they are being incredibly rude to judge what happened to you.

I'm really sorry you're having a tough time of it, a bad labour is so terrifying and stressful, I really wish you all the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    In Australia it's emergency or elective.

"Emergency" happens after labour. Elective before. It's just how it is.

It doesn't mean one is a true emergency and the other pure choice - it's just the terminology used.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (01-03-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (01-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    - in fact being 25 weeks now your signature always makes me smile as it gives me hope that if everything were to go pear shaped tomorrow there is a chance I could have a take home baby.
    That's really nice, thanks for letting me know my signature has that effect! :-)

I thought your whole post was quite insightful, thanks.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (01-03-2013),Stretched  (01-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    In Australia it's emergency or elective.

"Emergency" happens after labour. Elective before. It's just how it is.

It doesn't mean one is a true emergency and the other pure choice - it's just the terminology used.
    I don't know how true the elective before labour? My waters broke at home, was having contractions and was told once i got to hospital that I would be having a csection. The midwife asked the doctor and the doctor said it was an elective due to baby's size and previous shoulder dystocia. Then they discovered she was in transverse lie and changed it to emergency.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Didn't mean to thank that post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This thread is as weird as the threads saying anyone who used pain relief, or had a c-section can't use the term birth, as they didn't 'truly experience' it.

It's an emergency c-section by definition, whether that makes you happy or not. I doubt they will change the definition to suit you.

However, maybe refer to yours as an emergency c-section under GA, it would illustrate the difference in the experience to those who don't know your particular story.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (10-04-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (01-03-2013),Rarity  (01-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    If I decided not to VBAC this time (even if all conditions allowed for it) and booked for a CS at 39 weeks, but contractions started at 38 weeks, I went straight to the hospital, I wasn't dilated, waters had not broken, no fetal distress, but I wanted to proceed with the CS - this would still be defined as 'emergency' by the hospital because it would not be happened 'as planned'. Go figure!
    As a midwife I usually describe that at handover as "Stretched was booked for an elective on Wednesday, but went into labour overnight so had an emergency cs at 3am this morning".

Im a bit confused as to where this code blue business is coming from???

Theres 4 categories used in Australia to describe a caesarean as defined by RANZCOG (Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians)

Cat 1 - Immeadiate threat to life of mother of foetus (Also called a crash section)

Cat 2 - Maternal or fetal compromise but not immediately life threatening

Cat 3 - Needing earlier than planned delivery but without currently evident maternal or fetal compromise.

Cat 4 - At a time acceptable to both the woman and the caesarean section team, understanding that this can be affected by a number of factors.

So cat 1 would your cord prolapse, uterine rupture, antenatal bleed, severe fetal distress anything that involves people running your bed to theatre and usually a general anaesthesia

Cat 2 would be something like where they've been a bit concerned about fetal well being for the last hour or so and they decide to Caesar before it gets worse. Usually happens within 30-60 minutes and time for an epidural etc. Usually for failure to progress as well

Cat 3 would the example of being booked for an elective Caesar but coming into birth suite in labour earlier that day. Needs to be done sometime that day but not an "emergency". Could also be for something like baby's growth stopping etc

Cat 4 is your booked planned electives

Hope that clarifies things

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (01-03-2013),GM01  (01-03-2013),lambjam  (01-03-2013),LoveLivesHere  (01-03-2013),mim1  (01-03-2013),Shell P  (01-03-2013),Stretched  (01-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    This thread is as weird as the threads saying anyone who used pain relief, or had a c-section can't use the term birth, as they didn't 'truly experience' it.
    I'm not sure how you can compare these threads and am quite shocked that you would.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast