Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post
    I am still dealing with PTSD from my code blue emergency cs at 25 weeks. It was the scariest thing at has ever happened to me, I was minutes away from totally bleeding out and no words can describe how fast and frantic everyone was.

I feel like the term emergency cs is trivialised by over use, and when I say to someone I had an emergency cs they immediately think unplanned and I must have still had an epidural or spinal or something.
    Ok. I'm sorry you went through what you experienced, and that you're suffering PTSD. I nearly died after I had DD1 from complications from pneumonia. I felt a lot of anger and trauma over her birth and what followed, but I was angry at my situation and how it impacted on me, not on what other women went through and whether their experience trivialised mine.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (01-03-2013),peanutmonkey  (10-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I did my classes the midwife said to us they pretty much class any unplanned c-section as emergency but to different degrees. They said they're still all handled in the same as far as the prep goes, some are just a little more frantic than others.

Sorry you feel upset but I guess some people who also have emergency c-sections, albeit not as dramatic as yours, may still feel like theirs was an emergency too?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm really sorry for what you went through, I went through very similar with DD1, at 41weeks though so whilst I was in danger she wasn't. I suffered for years, still do despite having another emergency csection since then. I think you need to find some ways of dealing and healing instead of dwelling on this. People honestly don't think any less of you because you ended up with a traumatic birth/emergency csection - I understand that it feels like the world is against you and everyone but you is having amazing births and bonding sessions, but it isn't like that. Go out and seek support rather than dwelling on something that doesn't exist. Don't tell people about your birth experience if you feel judged, only open up to those that care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could it be people's reactions to one's healing time after a c-section? Or the 'ease',supposedly, at which one gives birth via a c-section depending on whether it is elective or emergency? There are a lot of people who believe a c-section is the easy way out - not my personal opinion, but conveyed to me many a time after our first was born this way, and I was knocked out to make it just that little bit quicker.
    Experiences seem to vary so much with birth, labour, c-sections and healing. I found my natural births sooo much better, however, have talked to people who have had both emergency and elective c-sections who preferred those.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I do see what you mean, that it does seem strange that a labour which simply didn't progress as quickly as the hospitals would've liked could be given the same term as one which lives were at stake. I have noticed that some women have 'elective' caesarians when there's no way they would've been able to give birth naturally without harm to themselves or their baby - that doesn't sound correct to me either, but unfortunately they are the terms.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (01-03-2013),peoniesarepretty  (01-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    also, don't be the one judging - others may feel that whilst they weren't 'code blue' they still feel robbed and that it was indeed an emergency.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (10-04-2013),Mod-Myztik  (01-03-2013),PeJu's Mum  (01-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just had a think about it and I kind of see where you're coming from, but from the other side.

When I was in hospital, a lot of the nurses referred to my c-section as elective. Which, it kind of was/kind of wasn't. My Ob had suggested a c-section because DD wasn't going to engage and she was measuring pretty big so Ob gently pushed for a c-section. I was a first time mum and of course went along with it. I was shocked at how negative the nurses were about it and always felt like I was being judged.

This bub will be a full blown elective c-section as I don't want to risk a VBAC after doing some research, and I have no issues with the term now, but I do remember being upset at the time so I kind of see where you're coming from

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (01-03-2013),meesha87  (10-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    also, don't be the one judging - others may feel that whilst they weren't 'code blue' they still feel robbed and that it was indeed an emergency.
    Yep

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OP, maybe you'll find more of what you're looking for in the Birth Trauma section? You'll have to PM a Mod for access though.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GrabbyCrabby For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (01-03-2013)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It might help to consider what "emergency" means.

"a serious, unexpected, and often dangerous situation requiring immediate action" (http://oxforddictionaries.com/defini...cy?q=Emergency)

So an emergency caesarean is one which is:
    1. Unexpected; and
    2. Required immediately.

Some will stem from more serious circumstances than others, however the definition is sound.

That said, I've always thought caesareans should be defined more specifically; I think four categories would make more sense than two. Gathering statistics on truly "elective" caesareans is almost impossible.
    Last edited by lambjam; 01-03-2013 at 15:03.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (01-03-2013)