Closed Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Lambjam is correct by her definition. I work in my local hospital surgical department and we class cesarians under elective or emergency.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimnus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If a woman has a caesarian after attempting to give birth naturally, it hardly seems 'elective' to me. She didn't elect it. I would think emergency or unplanned would be the correct terms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's your opinion, the definition I've been told is different and your unsupported opinion hasn't changed my view. So in my opinion, it's still a mistake. There's nothing hard about that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    GM01, what exactly is it about these terms that is upsetting you? Why do you care?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (10-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    *An unplanned Caesarean section is performed once labour has commenced due to unexpected labor complications.
    *A crash/emergent/emergency Caesarean section is performed in an obstetric emergency, where complications of pregnancy onset suddenly during the process of labour, and swift action is required to prevent the deaths of mother, child(ren) or both."
    Really the only difference is that unexpected csection is due to unexpected complications, and emergency csection is due to sudden complications.
    In my opinion its all the same, because there's not another choice, is there? The baby has to come out, as soon as possible, in either situation. 'Unexpected' and 'Sudden' both read the same to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    GM01, what exactly is it about these terms that is upsetting you? Why do you care?
    I am still dealing with PTSD from my code blue emergency cs at 25 weeks. It was the scariest thing at has ever happened to me, I was minutes away from totally bleeding out and no words can describe how fast and frantic everyone was.

I feel like the term emergency cs is trivialised by over use, and when I say to someone I had an emergency cs they immediately think unplanned and I must have still had an epidural or spinal or something.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (01-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    This.
    I had an "unplanned" c section. My life wasn't in danger as far as I know but it certainly wasn't something I planned. On my hospital records it states "emergency c section" so that's what I call it. Sorry if that somehow offends you. I can't see why it would bother you to be honest. Seems like another "mother war" is brewing so I'm going to opt out of this thread.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

cnic  (01-03-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (01-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post
    So this may seem very trivial to most, but it's a pet peeve of mine - the incorrect use of the term "emergency caesarean".

In most cases women who have an "unplanned" cs will call it an emergency. It may not have been part of your plan and it may have even only been decided after labour started, but unless there was an immediate risk to your or your baby's life it isn't technical an emergency cs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesarean_section

Of course, there are some women who are using the term emergency correctly and have been through the trauma of a "code blue" or similar. I wonder if these women also find the same thing annoying?

Rant over :-)

Sorry to tell you this but hospitals have 2 types of cesaerians: elective and emergency. It is considered an emergency if the woman went through labour and couldn't for whatever reason get the baby out so ended up with a cesaerean. An elective is where it is planned beforehand and booked in. They will only do a cesaer if they think the life of the baby or the woman is at risk if they don't do one. Just because the life isn't in immediate danger doesn't mean that it wasn't an emergency. It's not like you go through labour and then go "Hey I've had enough give me a cesaer. LOL

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

LotusMum  (01-03-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (01-03-2013),VanityFey  (01-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    There are a lot of terms in child birth that people don't like. I had an emergency caesarian (no it wasn't life threatening) first time after I "failed to progress". I hated that term - I didn't "fail", my body just won't allow me to birth naturally. There are lots of terms used medically people mightn't like - doesn't make them "wrong" though.

The Victorian gov't health website classifies caesarians as emergency (unplanned) and planned:

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...sarean_section

I've no idea which part of the Wiki explanation you assert makes a difference between unplanned and emergency, but I note in the listing none of these are offered as alternatives, just as explanations why women have them. I think you're reading a bit too much into one web page's way of setting out information.

Not even sure why this is a rant

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh by all means challenge the terms. I think they're ridiculous!

But at this point they are the correct terms (that's not my opinion, that's fact)
    Last edited by lambjam; 01-03-2013 at 14:47.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post: