+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Where can I find nice work clothes?

I'm going to a few interviews and I need some appropriate clothes.
    Mainly I'm after some nice black fitted pants (office appropriate)
    And a jacket. I have a few tops and a nice black skirt down to my knees.
    What clothes do you wear to work that look professional?

I'm really bad with the whole work clothes stuff.

Also I have long hair what do I do with it for an interview? Im thinking to put it up and plait it? Or should I do a bun?

And should I put black eye liner or not? It makes my eyes pop but Im thinking maybe it's too much and just some natural eye shadow and mascara plus some light lipstick.
    Any advice would be great really generally I'm one of those people that's over done but this is really important to me and I don't want to stuff up I have worked so hard to get to this. I'm stressing a bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I like Portmans. Cue is way too expensive for me but I find Portmans similar quality at half the price.

Eyeliner, I wear black eyeliner every day at the office but in between my lashes as opposed to a black line at the top/bottom to avoid the thick raccoon look. Look up 'tightlining' - it still makes the eyes look nice and outlined and stand out but much more subtle

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (01-03-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It depends in what sort of work you'll be doing. Can you go and snoop around outside the office and look at what the women are wearing?
    I personally love Cue for workwear. My workplace is really quite casual and I work with the general public and kids so i wear things that are comfortable but still professional. Generally a work dress from Cue (or similar), nice ballet flats and a cardi. Hair in a neat ponytail. For an interview I would go with neutral makeup.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The clothes thing is hard, sorry. I buy clothes from everywhere and anywhere as I buy what suits me and my shape, not necessarily a single brand or style.

But, for a Job interview, I would say no to black eyeliner. Instead, a little foundation, neutral eye shadow and some brown mascara, with a little lip gloss.

That's what I would do anyway. I go for pretty, clean and neat, tied back hair.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's been a while since I bought work clothes (as I have a uniform), but I used to buy most of my stuff at Target or Myer.

I'm a big fan of a tailored blouse with a well fitting pant or knee length skirt for interviews. If it's a more corporate environment I'll include a suit jacket.

I would wear your hair back in a neat bun, and skip the eyeliner. Mascara will be enough.

Good luck, I'm sure they'll be impressed with you

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys.
    The job I can't really go into but I can't look ummm...I don't know the exact words but I suppose sexual or draw attention to myself in that way (sorry probably makes no sense)
    I have to be plain but neat and professional.
    No necklaces, scarves that type of thing (safety)

Benji I think I know what you mean with the eye liner.

Can't really afford cue ATM...bummer but hopefully soon I will

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DFO can have some really good Cue sales. Just last season but all really good, quality stuff.

Good luck!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Degrassi View Post
    It's been a while since I bought work clothes (as I have a uniform), but I used to buy most of my stuff at Target or Myer.

I'm a big fan of a tailored blouse with a well fitting pant or knee length skirt for interviews. If it's a more corporate environment I'll include a suit jacket.

I would wear your hair back in a neat bun, and skip the eyeliner. Mascara will be enough.

Good luck, I'm sure they'll be impressed with you
    Hmm I think one of the places I applied for may have a uniform but not sure.
    Uniforms are really good I would be happy to wear one.
    Just depends what job I end up getting hopefully I do end up with one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get most of mine from Banana Republic or Anne Taylor in the US or TM Lewin for shirts and suits from the UK.

Way cheaper and better quality than what you can get here.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I go to Cue, Myer etc. I wear nice dresses and pencil skirts with nice tops/blouses tucked in with/without a tailored jacket. If buying a jacket and skirt/pants it is best to buy them together as some shop's colours and fabrics are different - it's amazing the number of different blacks there are!!

In regards to the eye liner I think I would not wear it to the interview, especially as you said later on that you can't draw attention to yourself etc. Just a nice neutral palette would be more suitable with your hair in a bun or a neat ponytail. I have long hair and wear it in a bun most days!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to FUSSY For This Useful Post: