+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD was still having overnight feeds at 15 / 16 months. It was hard as I was working full time, but I took her into the bed with me, let her feed, while I dozed, and if I feel asleep all good. After a time when I noticed that she had finished/ had fallen asleep I took her back to bed. She did that until 3 when I stopped her from BF.

Sometimes it was 3 x a night, somethimes only 1 and yes sometimes it was only a comfort thing.

I was told to wean her off, stretch out the feeds etc, but working FT was hard enough and to wean her off, let her wait 30 min etc needed me to be awake while I wated the time so it was actually easier when I let her come in.

Yes it was annoying at times, yes I could have done what others had asked, but if my child still felt that BF was needed then I did it. It was only at 3 yrs that I really had enough, she would have kept going, but I told her that it was over.

At the end of the day you either need to be done or not done. If you are not done keep feeding your baby - it is perfectly normal for your child to still BF overnight despite people saying it's not necessary etc. At the end of the day - it is normal and acceptable. You just need to be aware that there may be times you are tired etc. Maybe reduce what you can do - be realistic. If you want to keep BF then less housework happens. Yes maybe you're at home all day, and maybe you 'should' do housework, but anyone with broken sleep is not at their best, so prioritise. If BF is what you want to continue - pick something else that would be lowered (housework is always a good one to reduce as far as I am concerned)

However, if you are done, and you are TOTALLY happy with that decision then you have been told some steps to wean her off and you can do that and that needs to be fine for you, and not anyone else telling you it is fine/ not fine.

I know it is easy for me to sound as if it is easy - and I remmber many times when I thought exactly like you. At the end of the day - this too will pass, you will do what you believe is best for your kids and in 3 - 4 years time when you see your prefectly happy/ healthy kids you'll know you did the right thing. xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks to the new posters for your replies.

An update on last night:

I didn't even get to the dream feed at my bed time!

I put DD2 down at 7. She woke at 9, 11, 1, 3 and 6. I fed all of those times. She also woke at 10 but accepted a cuddle as opposed to a feed.

Far out!!! In my 4 years of bring a Mum, that is by far the worst night we've ever had.

Fingers crossed we get back to our 'normal' 3 wakings tonight. I don't think I could handle a repeat of last night. Now I feel silly for complaining about 3 wakings!!!

ETA: despite all of this I am not done with breast feeding. I just have to push through somehow!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Oh Hun sorry you had a rough night. And it really is your call .... i cant help saying though that feeding so often at every night wakening is just reinforcing the habit: night waking=feed+snuggles with mum which is much more fun than sleeping alone.

When I cut bubbas 10pm dreamfeed (about 9 months I think) I was worried it would screw with his excellent sleeping. The first night bub woke crying at 11pm and I felt so bad I went in and fed him. The second night he woke crying at 11pm... It was so obvious to me that the little bugger was waking out of habit/comfort. I gave him some water in a cup, a few snuggles and left him to cry for about 5 minutes and he fell asleep. Third night he slept right through. If I would have fed bub the second night I have no doubt that the night wakening would have continued.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a huge fan of breastfeeding and also an advocate for lactation consultants. Is it possible your milk supply has dropped/changed so she isn't quite getting what she needs?

Could be diet changes, stress - goodness me it could even be from lack of sleep.

Might be worth having a chat to an LC or ABA.

Maybe try a feed of something heavier like farex just before bed to fill her belly up?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyWirly View Post
    Thanks to the new posters for your replies.

An update on last night:

I didn't even get to the dream feed at my bed time!

I put DD2 down at 7. She woke at 9, 11, 1, 3 and 6. I fed all of those times. She also woke at 10 but accepted a cuddle as opposed to a feed.

Far out!!! In my 4 years of bring a Mum, that is by far the worst night we've ever had.

Fingers crossed we get back to our 'normal' 3 wakings tonight. I don't think I could handle a repeat of last night. Now I feel silly for complaining about 3 wakings!!!

ETA: despite all of this I am not done with breast feeding. I just have to push through somehow!
    Yep I had a night similar to yours... DD2 went to bed at 6pm then woke at 11, 12, 1, 1.30, 2.30 and then at 6am. I fed her at 2.30 only but in hindsight shoudl have just fed her at 11 and maybe had more sleep vs resettling all the blardy time. we are having teeth issues.. poor bubba is in some serious discomfort I think. I think I might have to resort to panadol tonight.

good luck. I cant bear my DD2 to cry at night... besides breaking my heart it wakes up the rest of the household which is worse for me.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    My DD fed regularly throughout the night at that age. The way I coped was to co-sleep so I could just pop a boob out and then fall asleep again. There was no way I could have coped with getting up every hour to feed a baby!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's so hard not to feed her when she wants it DH went in there to try and comfort her and she went bananas. I gave it 10 mins but she was getting hysterical with him so I went in. Immediately she tried to jump out of his arms and into mine.

I know what you're saying VP, I am trying to make it less cosy by sitting upright (used to feed laying down on her little fold out couch) and taking her off as soon as the active sucking stops. I just don't think I have it in me to say no and be consistent about it just yet. Thing is she is going to bed wide awake and putting herself to sleep.....so it's not like she *needs* me to fall asleep.

Maybe it's teething, illness? (no other symptoms) Ill look up the wonder weeks app now and see where she's at.

Fingers crossed for a more peaceful night tonight. Not a very happy household today, we're like walking zombies!

ETA: if this frequent waking does continue I may look into co-sleeping, or putting her cot in our room.....she's almost fallen out of bed with us early one morning so I'm scared to let her sleep in with us. Walking down the length of the house numerous times a night isn't conductive to me getting back to sleep after getting up to her so I need to do something....
    Last edited by GirlyWirly; 02-03-2013 at 14:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had an overnight feeder until he weaned at 19 months and yes it was mostly habit and comfort rather than hunger. And it was totally exhausting. I also tried to settle DS in other ways to get him out of the habit but I found that I was holding/ cuddling/ comforting him for ages at night and it never seemed to make a difference to his night waking and I'd end up even more tired than when I was feeding him! We did a lot of co-sleeping which helped as we didn't have to fully wake each time and sometimes he wouldn't actually feed but just be comforted by my presence. I just decided to go with it and, like some of the PPs have said, let other things go for a while.

Good luck, it's awful being sleep-deprived.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I nightweaned DD1 whilst co-sleeping... somehow she was comforted with my presence there and was ok with me not feeding. We then moved her back into her bed.

Would that work for you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another update, this time a more positive one

I went out after putting her to bed at 7. I was only going to a friends house up the road so the plan was if she did wake DH would try to settle her and if that didn't work he'd call me to come home.

He rang me at 8:30......to get the foxtel account password so he could buy a movie on demand.....I nearly strangled him through the phone cause his first words when I answered were 'bubba's screaming' hehe! Cheeky bugger.

So I get home at 11, not a peep feom DD2 while I was gone (typical) we talk a bit and go to bed.

12:30am DD2 wakes and yells out, I get up but DH tells me to wait as she wasn't crying, just grizzling....we wait...she's quiet within 5 mins. Yay!

3:00am, she calls out again. She sounded a bit crankier so after waiting 2 mins I get up but as soon as I get to her door all goes quiet. Yay again!

5:30am she wakes, I immediately get up to feed her, it had been 10hrs since her last feed so I was happy to feed her, especially since she allowed me a decent chunk of sleep.

8am she wakes up, DH gets up to her with DD1 and I sleep in til 9:30.

Huge improvement over the night before. I'm not kidding myself though, it may have been because she was exhausted from the night before. I've learnt not to get too smug from just one nights worth of good sleep lol!

Lets see how tonight goes!