+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 11 months old feeding 3 times overnight :(

My goodness, it's really getting to me now.....

DD1 was fully breast fed. She started sleeping 7pm-6am from 7 months. I never realised how lucky I was with her until now.

DD2 is 11 months old and is still waking 3 times a night to feed! She goes to bed with a feed at 7 then wakes at 11, 2 and 5am.

She did for a very short while go down to 2 feeds (occasionally 1 feed if I was REALLY lucky) but we are back to 3 feeds per night and I am so tired this morning that my eyes sting!

Is it wrong of me to expect or want her to drop two of those feeds? I'm reading conflicting advice online....some experts say a bub her age does not require feeds overnight, some day do it as long as she's demanding it.

DD2 doesn't take 'no' well. She'd wake the entire house up if I didn't feed her when she wants it.

She has 3 feeds during the day along with breakfast, lunch and dinner. She's a slight little thing but boy can she put her food away. She regularly eats more dinner than her older sister and often eats the same amount for lunch. Her breaky is smaller than big sis though.

Any advice, I could even do with just a bit of 'buck up kiddo, it will get better'......I LOVE my breast feeding relationship with her during the day. Love love love our snuggly milky cuddles but I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel annoyed and reluctant when I hear her wake for feeds overnight....
    Last edited by GirlyWirly; 01-03-2013 at 07:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Missie Mack,

Thanks for your reply. You're right, 12 hours does seem like a long time...I feel selfish for wanting her to sleep longer but this fragmented sleep has left me sooo tired!

I can't nap during the day as I need to look after DD1. DD2 is a cat napper anyway so during her 40 min naps I am usually running around like a headless chook trying to do chores and tidy up

I will try feeding her when I go to bed, then hopefully I might get a longer stretch from her at the start.

Fingers crossed hey!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Girly Wirly
    I could have written your post. I too have a constant overnight feeding 11.5 month old DS. He feeds maybe 4-5 times overnight and will get super cranky if I don't respond with boob when he wakes, so it has just become what I do when he wakes rather then listen to him scream. I have recently looked into Dr Jay Gordon's night weaning method and will 'attempt' this in the next week or so. At the moment he has a runny nose and is cutting teeth so this is possibly contributing to his wakings. I night weaned my DD(3) at 15months but she was never this wakeful overnight and honestly i am exhausted. Do you think your DD is
    hungry or just has it to resettle? Is she in her own bed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is she feeding or just comfort suckling?? Can your DP/DH offer a dream feed via EBM for the 11pm feed so that you get some sleep? Dream feeds dont work for my girls but it might work for you.

I managed to drop DD2's 11pm feed recently (about 1mth ago). She was feeding at 11pm, 3am and 4.30-5.30am.

I offered a dummy for her to suck on at the 11pm feed, and then kept patting her bum to resettle her. If it took more than 15min then I offered a feed. It was approx 1 week for her to drop that 11pm feed.

she decided to pick it up again last night as she is teething quite badly (5 teeth at once!) and off her food so I once again did the dummy/pat bum... but after 20min I offered her a feed and she finished a boob. She did wake up again at 2pm and her usual feed marathon at 4.30am...

So I definitely do feel your pain! I can understand you wanting to feed her immediately as my DD2 launches into this loud vocal protest that wakes the chooks next door if I dont feed her... thats why the dummy works for us cos it shuts her up a bit - long enough for her to possibly go back to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Could it be a growth spurt? You can she has cut down before from 3 to 2 and even 1.
    I find with my ds he wakes up for a feed for like a week or 2 at a time then all of a sudden he sleeps throug again so I'm putting that down to growing.

If not how about try dropping the 2am feed and just give cuddles. If that doesn't work just give water and try go from there. Maybe she will realise she isn't getting mummy so no point waking?
    I'm no expert I have so many troubles myself but that's what I've kind of figured out with my son 11months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply

There's a lot of good advice here which I have taken on board. I have tried dream feeds when she was younger but it seemed to make her more restless, but I'm going to try again as its been almost 6 months since we tried it.

She will take water from a sippy cup but she refuses to drink any form of milk from it so getting DH to feed her EBM is out

She is having full, awake feeds overnight and she goes back into her cot awake and puts herself to sleep so I don't think it's a comfort thing. Maybe she just likes to know ill come if she calls out and will happily take a feed while I'm there? She loves her milk and food, she gets cross if DH goes in to her at night as she knows he doesn't have any milk for her

Missie - I know I need to cut back on the chores but I can't relax when I know I have things to do and I'm SO bad at asking for or accepting help.

It could be a growth spurt and/or teeth. She cut her first tooth a couple of weeks ago and I think it's neighbour is very close to erupting too.

I'm going to try and take myself off to bed earlier than my normal 10:30pm and I'll feed her before I go to bed.

I'm sorry most of you are going through the same thing but it does give me comfort to know I'm not the only one

Fingers crossed all of our bubbas treat us to a bit more sleep tonight!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    just letting you know your not alone, 3 out my 5 were like that and I expect no6 will be the same. They will in their own time stop. Hugs for the lack of sleep in the mean time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Hi sorry you are having a tough time with the night wakenings.

At 11 months very few babies need overnight feeds for physical nourishment. 3 feeds is certainly a lot. Perhaps bub is waking out of habit/comfort.

I know you say bub will be upset if you don't give the night feed. I believe you. I Just wanted you to know that a little bit of pain (a few nights/week depending on bub) could result in a whole heap of gain (sleeping through).
    - If you're not a fan of the cold turkey approach slowly phasing out feeds could work. eg hold off for 30 minutes or so before feeding bub, and up the wait every few nights. At the same time reduce the duration of the feed. Upping solids/protein during the day at the same time could help.

Of course its totally your call what to do.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep 10month old us still waking 2-3 times a night..the other night it asfour times...aghhhh but thats only if teething thank god. .she has a proper feed most wakes tho occasionally the first one ( anywhere from usually 10-1) she is very sleepy and its not a full feed. Omg some nights particularly when its the third wake up i am feeling cranky so i know that feeling. I find it difficult to get back to sleep some nights after a feed and have only just dozed off for 30 minutes when she wakes again...that sucks. Sometimes by the third wake my dh tries to settle her but always fails. I too cannot cat nap in the day, i actually cant sleep in the day anyway cos without fail it takes me hours to g to sleep at night if i do no kidding i have to take a sleeping pill etc.
    For my part i have accepted that i will need to feed her as is for the time being as she is a poor solids eater. If she was a good eater i would have chosen some settling techniques as per the program i follow but she just isnt that keen on food. Depending in which method u use many say a good solids eater 'should' be able to sleep thru by nine months but my gut instinct with dd is that she is hungry ...i know however that she is capable of only needing one feed as she has done this on a number of occasions. I also check the wonder weeks chart to see if that why dd may be waking more often and that helps me cope. Not sure if your dd is fed to sleep ? I do believe as per pp that partly is comfort as well.... i have started not feeding my dd to sleep in the day and three days down she is doing quite well...
    However soon i will be attempting to Get Her to drop that first feed as m going back to work and seriously cant function. She is slowly beginning to drink a little more from a bottle. So yes i can sympathise....i too love the bfing in general but seriously not at 5 am when its the third wake up.......i will have a look at that Jay Gordon too. Good luck..its hard work and i know that feeling when u hear that cry at 4 am and think aghhhhhhhh not again!
    Last edited by jfblady72; 01-03-2013 at 19:56.