+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Is this too much salt?

I made some chicken soup today using chicken drumsticks (approx 5), onion, celery stalk and about 2 if water. To this i added 1tsp of salt and the stock reduced to approx 1.5L.
    I know kids dont need any salt but found the stock to be very bland without it. So, would you say 1tsp is too salty and how do i find out how much it would be in terms of rdi? It did taste pretty good though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    From memory it's recommended kids eat no more than 1000mg salt per day and adults about 2500mg - 1 teaspoon is about 2500mg but you added it to the whole soup so when you work out the portion size it would be less

did you add packet stock? That would have salt added as well, as long as you stay away from packet or processed foods and meats ( sauces/stocks/deli meats/too much bread/crackers/biscuits etc) adding a bit of salt to home made food is fine

I have an app called meal builder pro - you add your recipes and it gives you a complete nutritional break down per serve

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (01-03-2013)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Just found these recommendations for children:
    •1 to 3 years – 2g salt a day (0.8g sodium)
    •4 to 6 years – 3g salt a day (1.2g sodium)
    •7 to 10 years – 5g salt a day (2g sodium)
    •11 years and over – 6g salt a day (2.4g sodium)
    The size of the serve would have to be known to figure how much salt was in each serve.

If for instance your child had about 1 cup of soup (250mL) then the amount would be about 1.3g of salt (from my calculations) which would seem okay for all age groups. If the child had 2 cups of soup, then it would be okay for a child over 4.

Then again - it depends how much other food with sodium your child has had during the rest of the day.

I'd figure if it isn't a regular food, then it sounds great. If you added salt to make your own stock, it's probably less than otherwise if you'd used a stock cube
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 01-03-2013 at 00:28.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (01-03-2013)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just read back the place I took that from - I was reading it as sodium, but apparently Salt = sodium x 2.5

So change the 1.3g salt to 520mg Sodium

ETA: still sounds like okay amounts
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 01-03-2013 at 00:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thank ladies.

No, i didnt add any stock cubes or sauces etc. Just the chicken and veggies and 1 tsp of salt. I thought i didnt add much but found it to be quite tasty so thought perhaps it was too much. It worked out to be about 4 servings so i guess 1/4 tsp so thats good
    Last edited by Jontu; 01-03-2013 at 13:00.