+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Which colour shows up dirt the most - white or black?

We are going to paint our old floorboards, and can't decide between white and black. Having had white floors previously I know what a pain in the a*rse they are to clean, however I am sure I have heard before that black floors show up the dirt just as much. Has anybody had both and which would you choose?

Bear in mind I have a child, a lovely but grubby husband and 2 inside dogs, so I am not aiming for pristine clean here lol, just whichever looks the least dirty!
    If it were up to me i would choose black

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    They are both very hard work.

Can you freshen up your floorboards without painting them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I have dark tiles in my bathroom and they are a big regret!!!!!
    They show things that white doesn't like drops of water. Footprints if ur foot in a bit gross or just stepped on water.

White IMO is better. Yeh it gets grubby when the dirt builds up but i think it's better.

Now I'm talking tiles and I don't know if painting wood would do the same but my experience with black and white

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm, ok that was what i was afraid of with black...It's just they are very old floorboards, all different shapes and sizes, so we thought it would look kind of vintage if we painted them, plus we'll have to fill all the gaps with filler so there would be white everywhere, i guess we could do a dark stain or dark brown paint or something? I don''t know if paint would be better than tiles though.
    Bump to morning crowd?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have very dark stained floorboards and they do show dust and dog fur after a few days, but they aren't difficult to clean. Definitely better than white for hiding dirt IMO though.

What about a white wash if you'd prefer white? It's not quite so 'white white' and gives a bit of variance in colour so will hide dirt a little bit better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oooo I agree with white wash. And will have that vintage look I love white wash!! Will def be better with not showing up dirt so quickly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yeh the whitewash look would be a nice alternative

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both of them show up dirt a lot! I don't have floor boards but I have white tiles which show up a lot of dirt, and dark grey/brown carpet which also shows up a lot of dirt.

A white wash could be better maybe as PP suggested...