+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Needle Prick

I am freaking out big time and i guess i just want some reassurance or advice or experience or something...

Yesterday I was at a bulk bill doctors office and had to change dd2's nappy so went to the disabled toilet where the change table is... the change table was one of those pull down tables and it was already down, so i put a blanket on the change table and went to stand at the side of it to change dd's nappy... when i stoof next to it i felt a prick in my upper arm.. i move away from the table and notice that there was syringe sitting in top of the table... (i think this is the prick that i felt)

we told the receptionist and the nurse came and removed it and said she thinks it was an insulin needle... anyway we got bumped to the front of the list and was seen by a doctor stright away... they disinfected my arm and looked at it with the torch and magnify thingy and couldnt see any prick marks but they said that when you have been pricked by a small needle it closes pretty quickly...

i had bloods taken and have to go back at the end of the week and then again in 6 weeks times to have repeat bloods done...

doctor said i should continue going about things as normal and that the chances of contracting anything are 1 in 1000 or something like that... and that i continue to breast feed dd2 etc...

but i am freaking out so such! my arm is sore today and feels achy (like it does after having an vaccination)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh my god I'd before asking out!!

You poor thing,try to remember what the doctor said and try to stay calm.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ~BEXTER~ For This Useful Post:

Emi  (28-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks.

im so scared and so worried.
    its such a long process to get the all clear too!

i have so many thoughts running through my head its hard not to worry...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Omg! I'm sure you will be fine the chances are really slim but that's shocking anyway! Hope it turns out well

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chookylaa For This Useful Post:

Emi  (28-02-2013)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Reading this whole thing gasping! That is awful, I'd be terrified as well. I can't believe that someone would leave their used needle out like that

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that some diseases such as HIV are killed once airborn for a certain amount of time.
    Wow, I don't know what else to say- fingers crossed for you, I'm sure you'll be fine. And maybe you brushed against something else like you said, you can't be sure that it pricked you It would have to have been up against something for it to have penetrated, otherwise it just would have been knocked over? iykwim?

And have they put on any anti-biotics or anything???
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 28-02-2013 at 21:23.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (28-02-2013)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I certainly hope you are not paying for any blood tests/appointments if this occurred at the doctor's surgery...

Fingers crossed that everything is ok.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (28-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    no they havent put me on any antibiotics or meds anything... i see the doctor again on sunday/monday so will ask then.

and no i am not paying for anything it has all been bulk billed.

my sister said that i should ask to fill out an incident report incase anything happens...

its so hard... i dont want to think about it is freaking me out so much! my partner is so angry... i think he is scared too...

everyone keeps saying that the chance are low... but it only helps re-assure me for a little bit... and then it sinks in again what happend...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Emi For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (28-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am appalled reading what you have gone through... You must be so scared and worried I know this is easy for me to say but try and remember that the odds are in your favour).

That has got to be an OHS issue...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

Emi  (28-02-2013),ToonZie  (28-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    once i get my head around things i think i would like to write into the clinic and address is to the higher ups and inform them of what happened and what i have had to go through and the amount to stress it has put me under etc... id like to suggest them to install sharp boxes in the toilets at the clinic to minimise the chances of this happening again but im not sure how to word it or where to start...

any help with that would be great please... it might take things off my mind and make me feel as though i am actually doing something while i wait for results...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Emi For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (28-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just wanted to say I can't imagine what you are going thru right now. I honestly think you should ask for compensation for the stress it has caused you and your family. I would be contacting the clinic first thing and asking about an incident report just to cover yourself. I just can't believe what has happened to you and although it is absolutely terrible, thank god it wasn't your dd! Would it be worth getting legal advise? Surely the clinic would have insurance for injury???

18. The Following User Says Thank You to wannaBamumma For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (28-02-2013)