+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pre-sleep/wind down routine

So DS is now 4 months old and starting to roll so we are currently weaning off swaddling (one arm out so far).

He self settles to sleep during the day and at "bedtime". During the night if he wakes for a feed he will either fall asleep when he is done or will be drowsy and I just pop him back in his cot and he will go back to sleep within a couple minutes no noise from him.

So we are all good with that but I am concerned at how to signal to him once the swaddle is gone that it is sleep time.

At night he has a bath at 6, top up feed 6.30, cuddle/burp til 7 then into swaddle and bed.

So ideas on what has/is working for you for day sleeps and bedtime would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    did you want to try one of those sleeping bag things? u can get them for summer and warmer ones for winter. Might make the transition easier. Instead of putting in a wrap u put into sleeping bag. They are completely safe when bub's is rolling. Used one with DD up untill she went into a big bed at 17mths.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with pp I would use a sleeping bag.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah sleeping bag. My 1yr old knows when she gets in her sleeping bag it is sleep time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep third the sleeping bag suits. You can also tuck in a sheet over the top tight as you can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I still wrap my almost 9mth old dd2 up in a cot sheet over her sleeping bag. I'm hoping to eventually wean off the wrapping (around 12mths for DD1) in the future.

DD2 gets a fresh nappy, put into pjs, put in her cot to think for a bit... then in sleeping bag, wrapped up and then fed till drowsy. popped back into the cot with "nigh nigh" and a tummy rub. if she is unsettled then I offer a dummy to suck on as she is a very sucky baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We use pajamas and a Grobag (sleeping bag), but to help with the rolling we use some foam blocks that have material over them and adjustable Velcro to stop her rolling onto her tummy and not being able to roll back (and then crying and waking us to roll her back over).
    They're available at baby stores.

Our routine is bath, change, feed, story, and then one of us sits quietly with her patting the cot in the dark/holding her hand if she wants and have white noise on. Usually she falls asleep within 10 mins with no crying just some tossing and turning and sometimes a little grumbling.
    Last edited by Haydos1979; 01-03-2013 at 00:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sleeping bag it is, thankyou. Obviously I am more sleep deprived than I realised that I didn't think of that myself. Oops.