+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Reading Eggs - Teaching your child to read...

As the title suggests, has anyone used the Reading Egg system for their child to teach them to read?

Is it beneficial? Worth the money etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yep we've been using it for a couple of years and it's great. My son is very much a tech head like his father and responds so much better to learning thru online exercises and games.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

BJB  (28-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Most schools now have a subscription so you shouldn't need to purchase it? My daughter came home with a user name and password for us to use it at home, maybe check with the school first? Btw I think it's great!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsoptomistic For This Useful Post:

BJB  (28-02-2013)

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yep we've been using it for a couple of years and it's great. My son is very much a tech head like his father and responds so much better to learning thru online exercises and games.
    My son is the same ... he loves reading eggs on the computer, not as interested in the hard copy book he received.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-RaryGirl For This Useful Post:

BJB  (28-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. We are home schooling so just thought that it may be a good option. Will probably look into it a bit more, but so far response has been positive :-)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    It's an excellent program - my DS loves to play Reading Eggs and loves to read books.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

BJB  (28-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't used it in the classroom (it didn't exist before I went on maternity leave) but our eldest uses it and I think it is great. Sometimes they have deals going, ie. we got 15 months for the price of 12. There are different packages and resources, so as a homeschooler you might be able to purchase more of the teaching resources to help supplement the online materials. There is an email contact and they get back to you within a good period of time with any queries. It would be a great part of your English program. There are also some great apps for the ipad, ie. letter formation, sight word games. Found the letter formation great as our son has never been a drawer and has made him a little more confident now when he has just begun to write letters.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

BJB  (28-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I checked it out for work and DD (3 at the time) happened to hear it come on and was fascinated from the start - so I let her 'trial' it for me. She loved it and I then subscribed.

They have a free trial and when it was about to finish the kept emailing me deals. I think I got 12 Months + 4 activity books free and something else. I renewed and got 15 months for the price of 12. I've also since bought one of the reader packs but find the language a bit too 'Reading Eggs' specific so hard for DD to decode if she hasn't done the relevant lesson online.

That said, I credit a lot of DD's reading ability to the program and highly recommend doing the trial and seeing if it's a fit for your child.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

BJB  (28-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You can usually try it for free as suggested (for 2 weeks usually, but sometimes they have offers of trying free for 6 weeks). Then, if you think it's useful you can pay for it. We tried it when our ds was 3.5 as he was showing interest in trying to read & that overwhelmed me as I had no idea where to start. He's now 6, just started school a month ago and he's a super confident reader and he loves Reading Eggs. He finished the last Reading Eggs lesson nearly 12 months ago, but he's happy to go back & do levels again and there's so much to do in Reading Eggs such as games, books, songs, etc. It's very worth the money.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

BJB  (28-02-2013)