+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How do you study?

As in, what do you do to study? Just read, do hand-written notes, type up weekly summaries in programs like One Note? What method works well?

I am studying via distance this semester and it's been 10yrs since I last studied! Just curious what works for others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I read and do hand written notes. My text books usually have sticky notes or similar hanging out the side of them all over the place.

Depending on what the assessments are really. If it is open book exams then I have pages marked everywhere. If it is essays etc then I just read and reference as I go.

I also study externally Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did 1 unit online and I summarised notes in preparation for the end of semester exam. I didn't do regular study, only when I had tests/essays/exams.

I'm about to start my immunisation certificate which is distance. It is my first postgrad study so I'm guessing ill need to put more effort in.

Good luck, you will find something that works for you. I found reading and then summarising notes was the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah that seems to work for me too. My subject has a study guide with the main textbook which I'm working through and it has a series of questions and exercises so that's useful. The rest of the stuff I'm doing is mostly just reading and copying/pasting useful bits (like easy to understand definitions etc) from the web into an electronic document.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I highlight and write notes then rewrite what I've highlighted. Do that twice a week if I have exams coming up otherwise it's just what I do for my summaries after a lecture/tutorial.

Sent from my talky stick

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read my materials on the iPad and hand write notes as I read it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We had weekly objectives for all our subjects. I completed these then wrote and rewrote them all out until they sunk in. I always found hand writing them was much better for me. I can type easier, but it just doesn't go into my head in the same way. I also had a weekend before exams with a few uni friends, and we all did pretty much the same thing. It was great though as we could discuss anything we needed clarification on as we went. May be difficult though if you are studying by distance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I listen to my lectures online and write notes as I go, then I try to read some other material on the same subject to reinforce it. Once a whole topic is finished I'll write summary notes using lots of graphics, coloured pens etc (which helps with memory recall, for me).

I hand write everything. My first degree there was maybe one or two laptops in a lecture and now when I actually go to one face to face I'm almost the only one whipping out pad and pen! Haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another great tip, if you can get someone to listen, is to explain to someone else what you've learnt. You remember the least of what you just hear, you remember more if you write it out, and you remember most of what you can explain.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing, I am starting studying again. I keep a note book and hand write notes. I also highlight heaps of things. But I am not good at the studying thing.

Sent from my Unicorn.