+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Needing support - pumping to rebuild my supply after baby started refusing the breast

Hi all,

I'm just after some emotional support really, and hoping there might be someone who's been through what I'm going through!

My 4mth old son started refusing the breast about a week ago after getting more and more fussy over a few weeks. (He's been EBF since birth with no previous issues). He also lost weight - about 100g between 11 wks and 16 wks (which was picked up at the 4mth check-up).

I've seen a lactation consultant, and she advised it's because he has a poor suck and hasn't been effectively feeding, meaning my supply has dropped massively - to the point where he was only taking in 40ml per feed (poor thing!)

I've started supplementing with formula and expressing like crazy to build up my supply. He absolutely refuses to take the breast, but the LC is hopeful he will get back to it if I can build up my supply enough.

It's absolutely exhausting - bottle feeding, expressing every 2 hours (I have to do it 10 times per day). All that preparing and washing of bottles and pumping pumping pumping is so tiring. I have a great electric pump which is helping, but I'm just not sure how long I can keep going before I give up. At the moment I can get around 270ml per day. I'd really love to get back to breastfeeding if we can.

I'm also taking fenugreek supplements, lactation tea, lactation cookies, drinking heaps of water, and started domperidone today. The works!!

Has anyone been through a similar situation and managed to get their baby back to the breast?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the reply I did look into those but since he's now refusing to even latch on I don't think it'd work. Just like what happened with you I think he just knows it's much easier to drink from the bottle. I'm still expressing in the slim hope that he might come back to the breast but starting to resign myself to the fact that breastfeeding might be over! So sad!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Keep up with the domperidone. It took quite some time for me to establish bf when my bub was born- well over 3 weeks. I was doing everything you were doing. Finally I had enough for full feeds rather than comping. Domperidone can take weeks to work though, so keep at it! I know how exhausting it is. Sorry I'm not sure how to help with the weak suck. My dd had poor attachment and suck, and my lactation consultant showed me how to attach her, which I had to do every time, and still need to now at 8 weeks. I hope things get better for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Have you tried having skin to skin contact? Dont offer him a bottle and try feeding him again. It could just be a nursing strike that you can get past with time.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a "snacker"... My boy would feed every 2 hours but short bursts. He wasn't gaining weight and I wasn't getting much milk. So the CHN suggested stretching out the space between feeds... To 4 hours... Was hard but made an effort to keep him distracted . Then when he did feed he fed well and long and got the hind milk which is good and my supply had a chance to pick up and we never looked back. I think he was about 4 months old too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies! The Domperidone seems to be starting to work as I've gone from 300 to 400ml a day. Unfortunately I don't think breastfeeding is going to happen any more but at least I can express!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kristykristykristy For This Useful Post:

NORgirl  (06-09-2016)