+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Who knows, sometimes I think yes other times I think no. It doesn't matter though as it is something that gives me confidence when handling a cranky teething baby.

Even if it's all in my head..............

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I bought one for DS, used it maybe only 3 times?

I've never worried about putting it on him because he's never shown any signs of suffering with his teeth. Everyone told me what a nightmare teething is but we have been so lucky.

Which makes me think IF he was wearing the necklace all the time then I'd probably attribute his hassle-free teething to the necklace, which would give me the false impression that it's working!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSS View Post
    Who knows, sometimes I think yes other times I think no. It doesn't matter though as it is something that gives me confidence when handling a cranky teething baby.

Even if it's all in my head..............
    Ahh the placebo effect doing its job...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BH-community For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (28-02-2013),Guest654  (28-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Degrassi View Post
    I bought one for DS, used it maybe only 3 times?

I've never worried about putting it on him because he's never shown any signs of suffering with his teeth. Everyone told me what a nightmare teething is but we have been so lucky.

Which makes me think IF he was wearing the necklace all the time then I'd probably attribute his hassle-free teething to the necklace, which would give me the false impression that it's working!
    Good point!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have had the teething necklace on ds2 since he was only weeks old, it is on 24/7, because he had it on pretty much since day 1 he doesn't fiddle with it and it has never come undone so I don't see it as a safety risk. He has had no issues with teething whatsoever so is that just coincidence or is there some truth?

In the media today there is a story about a baby who died of SIDS and the coroner came to the conclusion it was the result of baby wearing the teething necklace whilst sleeping. My thoughts are, that that is obviously all the coroner had to go on. I really don't believe the amber teething necklace was the cause.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is in the same category as creationism for me, no scientific evidence = myth. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence but I tend to think it is a placebo effect, for the parents, ie; you'll be looking for signs of teething when you take it off, not looking when it's on. I have tried one on DS out of pure curiousity and it didn't do anything. I also highly suspect a lot of what is sold as "Baltic Amber" is most definitely not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    It wasn't that long ago that the same was thought of gold, yet gold injections are now given for arthritis treatment.

Last time I checked there were no studies into the analgesic effects of succinic acid in humans- which doesn't mean science thinks it is a crock but rather that there is insufficient scientific evidence to support its use or as this case n research to prove or disprove the theory. I even read a scholarly (but not peer reviewed article) that stated it was possible for siccinic acid to be absorbed via sweat
    I read this also- it's a possibility, but as you said, unproven.
    Every amber teething necklace seller website I have visited says they work by body heat warming the beads to release the acid, however, amber won't release anything at all until heated to over 100 degrees Celsius. So that part is definitely a crock, courtesy of science

Also, re the possibly sweat absorption, you said there are no studies done on succinic acid as an analgesic, so one would assume then that there is no known safe dosage, but if (and to my mind, it's a BIG if!) it worked, either by heat or sweat, shouldn't you (collectively not personally) be concerned that presumably unknown quantities of a substance not studied or approved for use in humans as a pain relief treatment is being constantly (allegedly) absorbed by your baby/child? There aren't really any studies that show succinic acid as safe for humans at all, though I believe it's used as a food additive. But if you look at the material data safety sheet for it, it's listed as an irritant to skin, eyes and the respiratory system.
    http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/MSDS/MSD...07%3Flang%3Den

I do find it interesting that some people that use them do so because they prefer a "natural" remedy because they want to avoid medications and chemicals like those found in bonjela, when, if they worked, they'd actually be dosing their child with an untested chemical substance 24/7!

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (28-02-2013),Guest654  (28-02-2013),RobinSparkles  (28-02-2013),Stretched  (28-02-2013),twotrunks  (28-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    I have had the teething necklace on ds2 since he was only weeks old, it is on 24/7, because he had it on pretty much since day 1 he doesn't fiddle with it and it has never come undone so I don't see it as a safety risk. He has had no issues with teething whatsoever so is that just coincidence or is there some truth?

In the media today there is a story about a baby who died of SIDS and the coroner came to the conclusion it was the result of baby wearing the teething necklace whilst sleeping. My thoughts are, that that is obviously all the coroner had to go on. I really don't believe the amber teething necklace was the cause.
    Could you link the article?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our boy teethed brilliantly, settled fantastically with his necklace on. He was grizzly, drooly and very unsettled without it. He's had it on since he was born, except for a few times it was forgotten after a shower etc - that's when we noticed the difference in him - so he's used to it and never touches it. he's 20months now and has a mouth full of teeth - never a hassle with any of them. And I'm a scientist, have been for about 16 years. Don't know how it works, don't care - it's not harming him, we've never had to use any chemical pain relief and if it's placebo effect then meh - so what!! Some of my friends swear by them, others have tried them and they've appeared to do nothing - but while our boy is all good with it, we'll keep it on him