+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Amber teething necklaces - truth or myth?

I've been wondering lately whether these amber teething necklaces really work. We have a bunch of different listings in our directory for them - have a look here if you want - and people seem to rave about them, but do they actually work?

Let's mythbust it - yes or no to amber teething necklaces?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    I don't know if they work. Dd2 has one. Dd1 never did. We haven't needed to give dd2 any where near as much panadol or nurafen as a did with dd1. but in saying that dd1 got her first tooth at 4 months with terrible fevers and dd2 teethed until she finally got her first tooth at a week short of 1.

So a tentative yes

Edit: dd2 has been wearing hers since she was about 4 months old.
    Last edited by DesperatelySeekingSleep; 28-02-2013 at 12:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    DS has had his on since he was about 4 months old. He's almost 14 months and only has 6 teeth so far, but all have just popped up without me even realising that he has more teeth! No sleepless nights, minimal drool and red cheeks.

No idea if its the necklace or not, but I'm not going to take it off him just in case!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (28-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Mum purchased one for DD. Did'nt come cheap either! Yesterday I went to put it on her for the first time and felt something fall on my hand. One of the beads had split in two!

People say they work wonders but I now don't feel comfortable having her wear one at all!

In the process of googling the company to send them a message, this came up-
    http://www.sidsandkids.org/news/warn...ing-necklaces/

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lauzy83 For This Useful Post:

mousky  (28-02-2013),twotrunks  (28-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing as also curious to find out with bub on the way. DD never had huge struggles with her teeth though, I don't recally giving a lot of panadol/nurofen for them and these neclaces were unheard of back then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I believe it helped me more then it did DD. they do look cute on though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is teething at 6 months and the days I forget or don't bother putting it on are terrible, unsettled and sleepless days.

The necklace is the first thing I check if she is having a bad day.

Just wanted to add she never sleeps in it unless she is on me, and I constantly supervise her while she is wearing it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are 30 in my DIG our kids are now a few months off turning 3 and the girls who use them swear by them!

I spoke to one mum who doesn't really believe in this stuff and even she swore by it.

Both my kids were good feathers so I never brought one.

Three Little Birds is offline Formerly Squiggsmom - I'll make it to the moon if I have to crawl.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    DD received one for Christmas from a family member very early on. My first thought was, "Seriously? What's with this hippie crap?" But I gave it a go. I won't say it completely takes away all of the pain. But I definitely didn't have to use as much panadol on the days I forgot to put it on her in the morning compared to the days she wore it all day. I'd say they are worth it. DD's has never broken despite her putting it in her mouth sometimes (which I obviously don't encourage). She never sleeps with it on. Those nights I just put on some bonjela if she's a bit cranky so she'll sleep better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe they work on some babies.. I guess they're all different.

Lauzy - that's a little concerning! Have you gotten on to anybody at the company about it?