+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I tried the no-poo thing about 6 months ago... My hair was long and the roots got very oily unless I washed it everyday. For the first few weeks it was really disgusting, I had to tie it back every day and it still looked awful. I put corn flour and cocoa in it to absorb the oil, and this made it look better, but it felt like straw... I looked homeless (my husband disagreed, so perhaps I was being overly critical). After the first week, I washed it with bicarb and rinsed with apple cider vinegar, that helped but within a few days it was really gross again. I persevered for about 6 weeks washing with bicarb and rinsing with vinegar every few days. In the end it didn't look dirty, but I couldn't style it at all, it was strangely static and straw-like... So I started washing and conditioning every few days with MooGoo products, my hair was lovely...

then I went OS on holidays, used the hotel shampoo and stuffed up everything...now I'm back to having to use salon shampoo every day. I cannot face doing the detox again (especially since I now have a bob and cannot tie it back)...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pilbara For This Useful Post:

Mischa44  (02-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everyone products different amounts of oil, I know some clients of mine(im a hairdresser) who only wash their hair once a month, others like myself are lucky if they can make it two days.

Personally I don't believe shampoo strips all(good and natural) oils from the hair, although many supermarket ones do. Good shampoo are designed to remove impurities (such as dirt and debris) and imperfections (dandruff and product).

They are also designed to address other needs such as moisture, repair, frizz etc etc.

If you colour, use product our blow dry/heat style you're hair it is probably in you're best interest you use shampoo. The only people I know who successfully go without shampoo don't colour use product our style their hair. If that is you, give it a try. Just my professional opinion and advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VanityFey View Post
    Everyone products different amounts of oil, I know some clients of mine(im a hairdresser) who only wash their hair once a month, others like myself are lucky if they can make it two days.

Personally I don't believe shampoo strips all(good and natural) oils from the hair, although many supermarket ones do. Good shampoo are designed to remove impurities (such as dirt and debris) and imperfections (dandruff and product).

They are also designed to address other needs such as moisture, repair, frizz etc etc.

If you colour, use product our blow dry/heat style you're hair it is probably in you're best interest you use shampoo. The only people I know who successfully go without shampoo don't colour use product our style their hair. If that is you, give it a try. Just my professional opinion and advice.
    What shampoo do you recommend then?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I washed my hair today after not washing it for almost 3 weeks. It looked great.
    Had never thought of doing this no poo thing.

So now I'm going to.
    Makes sense as when I stopped using face cleansers my skin improved so much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I remember seeing a thing on TV a while ago where they did an experiment and just rinsed hair in hot water. They used a microscope camera thingy to examine the scalp after a few weeks. The buildup of dead skin and grime on the scalp was disgusting (seen through the microscope but was visible to the naked eye). I have tried the bicarb and vinegar wash before- I found it really dried my hair and left it straw like. I'm thinking of trying out lush shampoo bars, they smell awesome.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would try it , but I do aqua aerobics a few times/wk and can't stand the chlorine smell in my hair

Thanks
    Reviews
    for the no shampoo'ers, do you exercise and wear hats/sunscreen etc.. I find I just cant not wash my hair

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by thepouts View Post
    What shampoo do you recommend then?
    It depends, what would you like it,to do, what issues do you have with your hair, how much are you comfortable spending.

Personally myself i'm a big fan on Kerastase and Pureology (also admit I am biase) other wide I think the de lorenzo, goldwell, aveda are quite nice. These are all salon professional products however.

If it just be a supermarket one, I would probably say L'oreal or Toni and guy

Thanks
    Reviews
    For those with kiddies who have lovely hair that's only washed once a week.... i thought that oily hair/skin was an adult hormone thing?? so it would make sense that kids go longer without washing.
    I know I used to wash my hair once a week as a kid but it increased to a couple of times a week by the time I was a teen.

When I was taking the pill I had nice, thick hair that I could go generally about 3 days before I washed it. Then I stopped the pill and within a month; I had ridiculously oily hair within 24 hours.

Now I wash it on one day, then dry shampoo it for the next 1-2 days.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nirok For This Useful Post:

VanityFey  (02-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinning View Post
    I have long fine hair. I used to wash my hair every 2nd or 3rd day but since I started using Dry shampoo my hair is sooo much less oily and I only wash it once a week.

Maybe try this method first. It took a while to see a change but others at work use it too and everyone loves it. The one in target that is $2 is awesome. Pink or green can with black lid.
    I have tried dry shampoo... like if I'm popping to the shops and haven't washed my hair that day. But I don't think I could use it all the time, it makes my head itchy and I don't think it does a really good job for me as i have quite long hair