+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default No shampoo?

I've been looking on the net for a recipe for homemade shampoo and came across a woman who basically doesn't use shampoo at all. She just uses rinses it with water whenever she showers, and once a month adds 1/2 a teaspoon of bicarb.

For about 6 weeks it was really oily and and she used the bicarb once a week, but gradually her hair got used to it, naturally balanced out oil production and now her hair is apparently the best its ever been. She doesn't need conditioner as the oils her scalp does produce is allowed to reach the ends. It makes so much sense!

Has anyone tried this themselves? I have long, fine, oily hair that I have to wash everyday if I'm to be seen in public (or even just to feel nice) so I'm a bit worried about the initial grease factor! But it'd really love to not have to shampoo my hair ($$ and chemicals, and I can never find one I 100% love) and its only natural right?!

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There was an Awesome thread on this about 18 months ago, when I have more time I will try and find it. I think it was Floating Fairy that did it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I tried it and lasted about a week. My hair was so oily it quite literally looked and felt like it was saturated. I have thick hair that is oily at the best of times.

I would love to be able to ditch the chemical laden hair products and move to bicarb only but i don't think i could handle 6 weeks of that horrible oily feeling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh great, thanks! I did a quick search for 'no shampoo' but I'll have a better look now you say that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    HarvestMoon thats my main worry! Missing a day of shampooing for me turns me into a slimeball, I can't imagine what 6 weeks would do!
    But now i think about it, when I was younger mum would wash it every Sunday so I was ready for school on Monday! Looking back at pics (though maybe it wouldn't show) I can't remember every being worried about it feeling too greasy. I might ask mum
    I just can't help feeling that shampoo makes it worse...

Thanks
    Reviews
    try looking for no poo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shampoo does make it worse, because every time you shampoo it strips the hair of natural oils, which makes your scalp produce more oil, which then makes you want to wash your hair more often. It just created a vicious cycle.
    I know someone that did it gradually. Washing her hair every second day for a month, then every third day the next month, every fourth day the month after that and so on. Eventually she got to the point where she never had to wash her hair, and her hair is amazing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I know my hair is definitely better for not washing it all the time. During school I washed it once a week and now I wash it twice a week. Generally every three days I have gone longer accidentally but I've never thought about not washing it ever again.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wash my hair often as i can't hack the greasyness.. but for my dd's hair, she's 4 and hates having her hair washed. i only wash it once every 3 weeks and i tell you, it doesn't smell, it's so so thick and curly and amazingly healthy. im so envious. lol. people are forever just touching her hair. it doesn't even look greasy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That other thread has been archived or Deleted as I cannot find it myself.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BarefootedMumma For This Useful Post:

Mischa44  (01-03-2013)