+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Bleeding after birth....is this normal? Hopefully not TMI

My baby is 4 weeks old. My post birth bleeding had slowed and stopped completely for a few days, so I started my contraceptive pill as advised by the ob. Within a few days, my bleeding started again. It's bright red, I'm almost filling goodnight/ maternity pads and the blood has some small dark clots in it. I don't have cramps or anything just feeling very tired so not sure if this is normal at this point as I'm not at the 6 week stage yet or if I need to be worried? I spoke to obS office and basically up to 6 weeks any bleeding is normal. And i had to stop the pill for now. is this just more post birth bleeding or should I worry about infection, etc? My first daughter is 8 and I can't remember what happened with her. Could this be retained tissue? I had a vaginal birth and can't remember what the ob said about the placenta....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    In my personal experience with retained placenta, I had fevers, cramps, flu like symptoms and in emergency within 3 weeks. With dd2 I had really heavy bleeding and clots the size of a mans fist about 7 weeks after birth. that turned out to be because of fibroids.

bleeding like that can be a sign that your periods are back. they can take a while to go back to normal or that could be the new normal for you. If the bleeding doesn't slow or stop after a week or 2, or you start getting dizzy, check in with your Dr.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Hopefully Waiting  (28-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    With DD1&4 my bleeding stopped and started until 8 weeks and was checked out by the OB who said it was completely normal and I was just over doing it.
    Could it be possible that your period is back?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I believe overdoing it could be the culprit..... Not sure its my period but who would know with me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Except im over it coz its horrible!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bled for about 5 weeks, stopped for about 5 days and then it started again super heavy, clots and bright deep red. I was soaking a pad every couple of hours and scared, but it just ended up being my period. For some reason my 1st period post birth was just super heavy. Everything was "normal" though - no retained placenta etc. My period was regular from then on, but irregular with how light/heavy it was. My second period post birth was quite light and
    Short. The next one was heavy again, then the one after was light, and then it settled down. I have no idea why my period was so irregular with it's flow, maybe it was hormones adjusting after the birth.
    It sounds normal, I would worry

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can you call the hospital you had your baby in and ask their advice? They may advise you to come in and have an ultrasound to make sure there is no retained placenta/membranes/product from your baby's birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont think theyll do anything until after 6 weeks. Im tired from what I think is the loss but i dont know.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub