+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    We live on a farm and so the kids have known that we kill sheep that are sick etc.. plus we kill them to eat. The "I'm gonna kill you" comments started after they went to kindy/prep. It's pretty awful to hear.
    Yes. This is what I'm talking about. She said, "I'll kill you!" to her brother. Which is why I asked where she'd heard it. It's not something we say. If there is a fly inside, I say, "I will get the spray!" And for cockroaches etc. well, they are usually found already dead, so we don't use the word kill. I will be more careful now but I don't think she picked it up in that context. If there are bugs etc. around, I normally say, "don't worry, daddy will get it!"

And when I say protect, I guess I mean choosing carefully the tv they watch and following classification guides.

We have just started discussing death with her as very recently, my nephew (her baby cousin) and my Aunty both died within a month of each other. Not a great start to the year.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 28-02-2013 at 04:59.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

baby4us  (28-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My 4 year old nephew doesn't like MIL and told her "if you don't stop looking at me I will kill you." Apparently he overhead 'kill' earlier that day when a strange man at the shops was trying to discipline his child ("come here or I'll kill you").

I don't think he fully understood the context of the word. He probably thought the translation was "Im angry at you."

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 4 year old knows the word .. Kinda knows what it means .. But i don't think she grasps that killing or death is final ...

She loves zombies ( we have taken her to the zombie shuffle in melb every year .. plan to participate this year ) ..and loves vampires .. But sees it as dress up and play .. Like princess and super heroes etc ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS is 6 and in his second year of school. HE doesn't watch any movies nor tvs shows with vioelnce. Mostly because they just do not interest him. But he has trouble fitting in at school so now plays guns and ninjas etc. He talks about killing too. I asked him why he plays those games as he doesn't play them at home and he said.....so that the other kids will play with me

Anyway, I guess my point is, that it is sad we can't protect them in our little bubble forever. They WILL be exposed to it at some stage and it's our job to communicate and teach them right from wrong......and hope it passes quickly haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    My 4 year old nephew doesn't like MIL and told her "if you don't stop looking at me I will kill you." Apparently he overhead 'kill' earlier that day when a strange man at the shops was trying to discipline his child ("come here or I'll kill you").

I don't think he fully understood the context of the word. He probably thought the translation was "Im angry at you."
    Hahaha. ThAt would've been gold!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My girl is only 4 months old, but I was reading Little Red Riding Hood to her yesterday, and when it got to the part where the hunter kills the wolf, I just couldn't bring myself to say it. I said, "did away with" instead. I feel a bit ridiculous now but I don't want her to grow up thinking that it's ok to just go around killing animals. I didn't want to say the world "kill" without being able to explain that killing is wrong (because she's too young to understand). We are vegan so will raise her to have compassion for animals, and part of that is about being honest with her about what goes on in the world, and why we don't eat meat etc. I guess "age appropriate" is the key here. I think kids need to know what death and killing is, and to learn about those things from their parents so that they're not suddenly struck by them by some kid at school. Maybe part of the problem is not being honest enough with our children, so things like death and killing start out as vague fantasy concepts that have no real meaning to them. (Making them apathetic etc).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to InWatermelonSugar For This Useful Post:

lones  (28-02-2013)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    DS understands 'die' or 'dead' in a vague way. He picked it up when I say things like "That battery is dead" or "the plant died". I don't think he quite understands the concept entirely yet but he has a vague grasp of it.

I don't think he understands 'kill' yet in quite the same way. When he sees a fly that I want to kill he says "You're going to hurt the fly" so he knows I'm planning harm for it *chuckle*. I don't think he understands the permanence of killing or death yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 4yo does.. He has know for quite some time. He got himself into transformers, power rangwrs, star wars.. And anything with guns and fire type things.. Idk how as i dont like or watch any of that..

He knows what kill is...

He feels the need to kill every bug or insect he comes across even though i tell him.off... If hes playing outside he starts yelling out yay yay i killed it i killed it.

Plays games where he kills people...

Doesnt sound good.. I know :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Maybe. I can't remember.

I've never hidden it from her though, and I'm sure a lot of kids get taught about killing in relation to bugs or whatever. Like spraying flies with flyspray, or stomping on ants or something. Nothing sinister exactly.

DD knows all about zombies, vampires, werewolves etc. I think her first exposure was Plants VS Zombies, and just kind of went from there. She's not quite 8 yet and is reading old Goosebumps books too, so I'm guessing she'll be learning a lot more about monster-type things in there too.

I have told her off when she plays games that involve killing though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds is 4 in June and he does not know what 'kill' means. I heard him say 'I will kill you' to his dad about a month ago and told him that to kill is not nice and please don't say that anymore. He didn't mention it again until a few days ago, when he asked me what it meant. I tried to explain it, but he really doesn't understand dead either. He still thinks Simba's dad in the lion king is sleeping after watching it about 25 times.