+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Does your 4yo know what kill means?

My 4yo DD said that the other day, that she would "kill you" to her brother. I was mortified so I asked her where she heard it as we have never said that word in front of her and she said a boy at preschool did it. The next day at preschool, this same 4yo turned up with a zombie toy figurine thing and was telling the teacher about it. Again, my daughter would not know what a zombie is as we have never said that word in front if her.

I wonder what parents think sometimes exposing their kids to this kind if stuff. My daughter gets scared watching octonauts on abc4kids, lol!

Not much point to this thread really. I guess I just worry that I can't "protect" my kids from these things once they're older and at school.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 27-02-2013 at 21:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 4 year old asks me to kill the spiders she sees in her room, so I assume she knows the word, and the meaning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    We live on a farm and so the kids have known that we kill sheep that are sick etc.. plus we kill them to eat. The "I'm gonna kill you" comments started after they went to kindy/prep. It's pretty awful to hear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mine is 5 now but as we butcher our own meat, and live on a large property, yes he knows what kill means.

He makes friends easily and we've never had a problem. Id like to think that other parents dont see him as someone they need to 'protect' their children from just because he cones from a different lifestyle.

I might have missed the point though?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tannedangel View Post
    My 4 year old asks me to kill the spiders she sees in her room, so I assume she knows the word, and the meaning.
    To this, OP if you've ever killed a bug or eaten meat in your home then im not sure how you were going to protect your child from the concept of killing anyway. Not saying the specific word in the context of murdering another human isn't really relevant. Im sure the kid she picked it up off didn't mean it literally either.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (28-02-2013),PurpleButterfly4  (27-02-2013),River Song  (28-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    My 3 yr old doesn't really understand because we have never explained it.. he says something will "dead you" instead. So he understands that things die but not the term kill. Probably because we squish ants and say we will get a spider instead of saying we will kill it.

I don't want to have to explain to him that the world isn't as nice as he thinks and people kill others just yet.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 4 year old understands the meaning of it in relation to wasps and flys and spiders etc. I've never heard her use it when talking about other people etc, but as she has just started kinder I imagine it may well come up when she is in the playground & she would probably understand what was meant.

I think it is important that they know about these words at a basic level as death can confront a child in various ways as they grow up. We had a much loved family dog die in her sleep 2 years ago, whilst we didn't talk about killing as such, the concept of death is something our children are aware of.

I thought our DD3 was unique - we have always laughed (not in front of her!) about her being scared of the Octnonauts! She is also scared of Chuggington and Bob the builder!!! Glad to hear she's not the only overly sensitive soul around!

Thanks
    Reviews
    my DD1 is 3 1/2 and doesn't really understand "kill" - it just doesn't really get talked about.

I have heard her say it though. She has learnt it from the older boys (5-6yo) playing superheroes/goodies & baddies etc in the street.

She also doesn't really understand the darker aspects of the fairy tales etc, she is just a fairly naive 3 year old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My 4.5yo only watches ABCkids, so hasn't picked up any death/killing from that.

However, we have been slowly introducing him to the concept of death recently, which has been triggered by things like seeing a dead bird on the road or a page in a dinosaur book which explains a theory for how they died out.

I have never heard him use kill in reference to people, but he understands it in relation to insects as I have instructed him not to kill insects, and have explained that killing them means they die, they are gone forever, that their mummy/daddy/etc will never see them again.

I suppose he could logically extend that to killing people and could say something like that?

I find the death conversations really hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 4 year old says it a lot. Like if he's slightly alarmed about something he says 'im going to die' etc.

Our chicken just had to be put down. Dh told the kids that she was going to a farm to get better but I told them she wasn't going to get better she was going to die . I explained this seriously to my 3 year old and said he chicken had a wonderful life but she was sick now.

My 3 year old definitely understood to some extent and spent the afternoon role playing ie lying down and saying 'I'm sick like the chicken but I'm going to get better I'm not going to die' etc.

They all said goodbye to the chicken.

Anyway I don't know where they pick it up from really but even my 3 year old knew dying was serious etc.