+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby only likes rice cereal

DS is 6 months and has been getting solids for about 2 weeks now. He loves rice cereal and eats it enthusiastically (vocalizes for more) but everything else is disgusting, according to him. I've tried pumpkin and avocado, both as purees and finger food, a banana-milk rusk and today a packet of spinach, apple and pea purée from the supermarket. He hated them all. Anything with any flavor is instantly ejected from his mouth and his expression is one of total disgust and horror. DH and I enjoy flavorsome food and eat a lot of chilli and garlic and DS is breastfed.

What should I do? Just keep trying? Back off and just give him rice cereal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I would stop the rice cereal altogether!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Stop giving rice cereal, that stuff taste like cr@p.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Agree with pp, throw away the rice cereal, wait a few days and start again

At 6 months you can skip the purees and feed him what you eat ( go slow on the chili at first!) eat your meals together and offer him a version of what you are having , let him see what you eat, try a variety of foods to get him used to all the different textures and flavours, it may take a few weeks or even a month or 2 but this age food is a learning process

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~BEXTER~ View Post
    Stop giving rice cereal, that stuff taste like cr@p.
    Not exactly helpful, seeing as OP just stated that her child loves it.
    Try something else equally as bland - pumpkin by itself, porridge plain with a bit of milk.
    Honestly I wouldn't worry too much, just keep offering different things, it has only been 2 weeks, it won't be forever. Offer single flavours instead of mixing them at this stage. Mushed Avo was my daughters favourite.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS doesn't think rice cereal tastes like cr@p...he loves it! The plain pumpkin got the worst reaction. I haven't been mixing things at all apart from the pouch of stuff I tried today. Plain mashed avocado was bearable and he tried a few mouthfuls but didn't really enjoy it.

I suppose I'll just keep at it. He won't eat rice cereal forever!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Why not try adding small amounts of one vege to the rice cereal and gradually increase the vege and decrease the rice.

Keep on offering the new flavours - otherwise you may find as he gets older it is much harder.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpottySocks For This Useful Post:

angelini  (28-02-2013),Onion  (02-03-2013),PurpleButterfly4  (27-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Id try mixing small amounts of other things like yogurt, puree pear or apple in with the rice cereal and slowly increase to broaden his range

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't mistake initial refusal or face pulling as dislike- keep offering the spoon! My DD always pulls a face for the first few mouthfuls, then gets terribly impatient between spoonfuls
    You can get an organic rice cereal from rafferty's that is made with brown rice which is marginally healthier. I agree with PPs- mix in other flavours! For breakfast I was mixing it with homemade fruit purée. I don't anymore as breakfast in currently avo puréed with pear, which she loves

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can take up to 20 times before a child will accept it.
    Try to stick with veggies for the first month or so. Mix it with his rice cereal.
    Try sweet potato and white potato.
    Give soften finger foods of what you can once he gets used to other foods.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleButterfly4 For This Useful Post:

mummyrissa  (02-03-2013)