Closed Thread
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I understand what you are saying, however, what makes anyone think they can accurately judge what someones financial position is.

Anyway, I will just have to agree to disagree I think. I don't care if someone is rich as rich and only gives me $20. I wouldn't invite people to a wedding expecting gifts regardless of their personal financial situation. It's none of my business.....and I was taught to be greatful for everything in life, be it $20 or $2000.

We are obviously just different people with different thoughts on what is important

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~BEXTER~ View Post
    This thread is making me never want to go to a wedding!!

I thought the idea of a wedding was because you loved each other and wanted to share that with friends and family.. But it sounds like its a money grab and you'll only be happy if guest give you hundreds to attend your wedding.

It you can't afford to feed your guest don't invite as manny!!
    This! Hubby and I had a wishing well, only because we were already living together and very young. DH 24, and I was 21. We got 3k roundabout, and we were ecstatic!! It paid for our week honeymoon which we wouldn't have otherwise had! We were so grateful for anything we got, and were completely overwhelmed by the generosity of people. We had the most amazing time, and everyone had a nice surprise at our surprise wedding at our engagement party. Isn't the joy and love more important than the money??? If you want to try and get your money back, you simply can't afford to get married, keep saving!!! Hahahahahahahahaha!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If people only had a wedding for a cash grab it'd be much cheaper to just have a dinner with family then a whole reception. People choose to have a big wedding and spend thousands of dollars because they want to celebrate by showering their friends with food, drinks and entertainment, they are throwing a big party to celebrate and spending money on YOU to be with them. It's an honour to be invited, not your right, you are being honored by being fed and have money spent on you to help celebrate. The very least you can do is give a gift.
    Talk about being gracious? If a friend of mine said to me "I'm lucky if I get anything at all" after I invited you, fed you, spent money on you to be there? what a horrible attitude to have. People should be lucky you attended, if you want a gift don't invite me??? That is disgraceful.

It doesn't matter why or how much they are spending for their wedding, it's none of your business, this is about YOU and what you are giving at a wedding, not what you expect your guests to give you. If you have a wedding and just want people there, fine, write it on the invite. No presents. But this about what you do when you attend a wedding, I would never ever go to a wedding and give nothing, with the attitude they should be lucky I'm there at all. I would be so embaressed and ashamed to go, eat the food, drink, have a good night and congratulate them with NOTHING. That is totally disgraceful, I just wouldn't go. You get 2+months notice, if you saved abit each week and went out and bought a gift, any gift, then that is better than giving nothing. I'd rather give a present then travel to be at a wedding I couldn't afford. And I would expect my guests not to come if it was going to put them out, not pay their bills or give them any sort of hardship, no, my wedding isn't more important than your well being so I would ask someone who was struggling not to come and it's ok, I don't want you to starve or get a loan just to be there.
    If I really wanted them there I would pay for it and thats what I did for my aunty, I paid her airfare to come from interstate because she had no money and the thought of coming but giving me nothing was unthinkable for her. She was willing not come.
    Being Australian doesn't mean anything, Australian culture isn't giving nothing at weddings. Everyone has wedding etiquette and if it's a cultural wedding I would respect their traditions, not say, "well I'm Australian and we don't care" Rubbish.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttermilk For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (01-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Why do people not just ask guests to pay for their meal if holding an event is too expensive for them?

I have been to engagement parties and have been asked for money. I find it a bit odd - I had a glass of wine probably worth about $8 but felt obliged to give much more than that.

I guess to me, the wedding is the actual wedding. The reception afterward is just a party. I'd happily pay for my own $30 meal and $8 drink if it meant I didn't have some stupidly expensive registry to attend and buy something I wouldn't even indulge on for myself let alone someone else.

I love being witness to seeing my friends get married. I think it's lovely. I don't like the stupidly expensive trend it has become though and therefore putting a financial burden on not only bridesmaids and grooms but also guests.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

RobinSparkles  (01-03-2013),Stiflers Mom  (01-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I guess the thing is with the expectation that people cover their cost is there is no choice for the guests - generally guests are given either a meal or a choice out of a few. People with little money going to a restaurant would choose a restaurant within budget and a meal within budget. It doesn't seem fair to me that they should be forced to choose between a few meals they'd never choose or be able to afford to indulge on at somebody's wedding and pay for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    we had a wishing well, and 17 people unaccounted for when matching up cards/money.. 17 people to match up to the only annonomous amount of $65..
    You matched up cards with money? Wow Does it really matter? You invited, I'm assuming, people you cared about. It was not their job to fund your wedding. Maybe those people just couldn't afford it? Weddings these days have become a huge cost to guests. Outfits, travel, accommodation. Then if you are on the bridal party add easily a grand to that.

I'm just floored at some of the comments in this thread

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

RobinSparkles  (01-03-2013),~BEXTER~  (01-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why don't people think outside the square then. Friends of mine had a surprise wedding in a park and a picnic. There's no point in losing friends and spending silly amounts IF you can't afford it. I don't invite people over for dinner and expect them to give me a gift to the value of the food. It's a strange notion to me.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

delirium  (01-03-2013),Gandalf  (03-03-2013),HugsBunny  (01-03-2013),~BEXTER~  (01-03-2013)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I don't think anyone has said their wedding was too expensive for them though??
    And have you seen the threads where people who couldn't afford too many guests have asked about having guests pay for their own meals?? Bahahaha.... if you thought this thread was bad....
    Someone has said in this thread that you should give as much as the couple have spent on you. Reading between the lines I'd say that means guests were expected to cover the cost of the reception. If you can afford the reception, doesn't it stand to reason then that there was no need for the guests to cover their attendance costs to the couple??

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

delirium  (01-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i'm attending a wedding soon, this is making me nervous haha. A judgement on my friendship and relationship with them based on what material things I give them lol.

I think it is unfair to expect a guest to cover their costs when a guest has no say in the cost.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    i'm attending a wedding soon, this is making me nervous haha. A judgement on my friendship and relationship with them based on what material things I give them lol.

I think it is unfair to expect a guest to cover their costs when a guest has no say in the cost.
    Just don't spend more on your dress than the gift

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Benji  (01-03-2013),Stiflers Mom  (01-03-2013)