Closed Thread
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's exactly what I believe, I don't think either is better which is why it upset me that the implication was I was somehow 'less' than the poster.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think there's two different ways you can use "expect," in this situation.

I agree, that gifts or money gifts for weddings are common and thus you should expect that perhaps some of your guests may want to give you something, and therefore provide a place where they can put these gifts.

That's a reasonable expectation - the expectation that SOME people MAY want to offer a gift of some description.

Then there's the other kind of expectation, the one that seems greedy and selfish and just a bit icky really. The expectation that a person invited to a wedding HAS to give a gift and that is SHOULD meet or exceed a certain amount (the common suggestion being roughly the cost of their meal).

I don't think people are planning to turn a profit from their wedding, I understand anyone who did that would be insane because it's just so unlikely to happen. BUT I think that some seem to, even here in this thread they've suggested and hinted at it, but never wanting to outright confess to it for, I assume, fear of being called selfish or greedy, the fact that they expect their guests to contribute enough to cover their meals, and thus recoup the cost of meals. I suspect that some may have this in the back of their mind when they make their wedding plans... "Oh, yeah, it's a bit expensive, maybe a bit too expensive for us... but we'll get some of it back come the big day, so we might as well..." etc.

As for criticising the "next generation,"... meh. I'd rather be part of a generation who's fine with guests not forking out for MY wedding, than being part of a generation who thinks they're entitled to gifts because they've spent a lot of money on a day that means very little to anyone but the people getting married...

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (03-03-2013),Gandalf  (03-03-2013),LaDiDah  (03-03-2013),peanutmonkey  (03-03-2013),Shoopuf  (03-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    As for criticising the "next generation,"... meh. I'd rather be part of a generation who's fine with guests not forking out for MY wedding, than being part of a generation who thinks they're entitled to gifts because they've spent a lot of money on a day that means very little to anyone but the people getting married...
    Agreed! I would HATE people to spend money on me simply because I was choosing to have a wedding. It is part of the reason my DH and I have never had a celebration for our marriage.

I even feel too guilty at the thought that some people may have to travel to attend!

I don't understand people who think they 'deserve' a sizeable gift, just because they decided to get married. It's bizarre.

FWIW, I usually give $50-$100 at a wishing well. I don't think any amount is wrong.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (03-03-2013)

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Due to the sheer number of reports of posts in this thread it is now going to be closed.

OP I hope you've received a wide variety of opinions and can make a decision that suits your situation.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-RaryGirl For This Useful Post:

CookingMonster  (04-03-2013),lambjam  (03-03-2013)