Closed Thread
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    Gosh I find that rude. If you want people to come to re-coup the expense of their wedding don't get married! $50 per person I feel is enough to cover the cost of a nice meal and glass of wine!

I meal at your standard restaurant is about $35 and a glass of wine is $9. Covers your "cost" to the couple.

Give what you can afford. I didn't want anything from my guests who traveled interstate! Have fun!
    Sorry I didn't mean to offend.
    All the Weddings I've been to lately are at fancy well over $100+ per head receptions.

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    It comes down to what the guest can afford.

*I* would feel cheap only giving $50, regardless of how much i spent to get there, *but* I can afford the travel + the larger gift.

I think the bride/couple would be grateful for whatever amount you gave.
    This is what I meant, came out wrong.
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 28-02-2013 at 06:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We gave $30. We haven't been invited for the gift

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'd give what you are comfortable giving.

A real friend wouldn't care if you gave no money at all, and would be happy that you came despite it being costly for you to do so. A friend who would feel annoyed that you *only* gave a certain amount, IMO, isn't someone who deserves a single red cent of yours.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (28-02-2013),FrothyFrog  (28-02-2013),GreenMama  (28-02-2013),JessicaBailey  (03-03-2013),waterlily  (28-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    I would say $100.
    Even though your spending a lot to get there etc, $50 sounds too cheap IMO
    $50 per person attending seemed to be the going rate for our wedding and we never thought that it was cheap. We had some friends just give us a card as they had to travel and we didn't get offended.

We also give the couple $50pp (so $100 from dh & I).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    $50 per person attending seemed to be the going rate for our wedding and we never thought that it was cheap. We had some friends just give us a card as they had to travel and we didn't get offended.

We also give the couple $50pp (so $100 from dh & I).

I guess everybody's situations and traditions are different. Dh and I received between $100-$200 from couples/families 8 years ago.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's costing you a lot to go to the wedding in the first place, if I were the bride, I wouldn't expect anything.

When DH and I got married we had a wishing well, but we also had 'destination' bucks and hens parties. We didn't receive anything from the people who attended our bucks and hens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We received $100 from my single friends and over $200 from families, some gave 300-500! We made almost 10k in money and we only had 100 people. I would feel really really bad giving $50 for me and dh attending because I feel I have to give what I received. One friend didn't even invite me because she had a small wedding with close family/friends under 50 people and I didn't make the list which was fine, but she came to mine (we were closer a few years back when I got married) and I still felt I had to send her something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmmm. This has got me thinking now as I am going to a wedding in Fiji that's costing $2k... We haven't got the formal invite yet but I would hope there won't be more expectations!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you give what you can afford. Especially travelling, accomodation etc they should be grateful that you made the effort & were able to attend.

For this reason, when we got married we had a wishing well but had asked that people don't put money in the wedding card (so they didn't have to put their name to how much gave). We had a well for the money & a pile for the cards. Most of our guests had to travel & I didn't want them feeling pressured to give a certain amount.

Good luck! Only give what you can afford & they should be happy that you made the effort to go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    $75-$100. If they are close people perhaps more but not less (this is my thoughts anyway).

But yes if I was the bride I would be uncomfortable with you giving a sum of money that you really can't afford.

And yes you are traveling etc.

We had similar but everyone coming from far put $50 plus in. But some who lived close and had no money issue only gave $20 which I thought was odd but so be it.

It doesn't really matter just give what you feel comfortable with and I am sure the bride and groom will appreciate it regardless of the amount.