Closed Thread
Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The aim should be to cover ya own costs at the wedding and if you have to use the funds to help pay from wishing well etc then do be it.
    The way we see it is IF we get a decent amount we would use it for a cheap honeymoon and/or perhaps extend the bar tab

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    See I don't understand this, you "made" 10k on your wedding. Weddings aren't really meant to try and make money on in gifts are they? You put on the wedding and invite your loved ones to share the day with you.
    I had a gift registry so I didn't expect to get so much money. Yep I was pretty stoked, if I saw it as a business though it'd be a bad one cause we spent 4x that amount

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I so love the hypocrisy on bubhub. In one thread you are supposed to work hard for everything you have, anyone who is given anything is scum and those who are well off "worked their ars* off for it", and then in another, we are supposed to give lots of money to newlyweds to "start their life". Heaven forbid they should have to start their own life like the rest of us have had to. What is it about getting married that makes someone so special they are exempt from having to "work for what you have"??

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (03-03-2013),Gandalf  (03-03-2013),peanutmonkey  (03-03-2013),RobinSparkles  (03-03-2013),SassyMummy  (03-03-2013),~BEXTER~  (03-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post

I so love the hypocrisy on bubhub. In one thread you are supposed to work hard for everything you have, anyone who is given anything is scum and those who are well off "worked their ars* off for it", and then in another, we are supposed to give lots of money to newlyweds to "start their life". Heaven forbid they should have to start their own life like the rest of us have had to. What is it about getting married that makes someone so special they are exempt from having to "work for what you have"??
    Bitter much?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttermilk View Post
    Bitter much?
    I don't see how that's bitter, just pointing out contradiction?

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (03-03-2013),LaDiDah  (03-03-2013),SassyMummy  (03-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds bitter to me, it doesn't even make sense because I have no idea what that ramble was about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttermilk View Post
    It sounds bitter to me, it doesn't even make sense because I have no idea what that ramble was about.
    It makes sense to me.

-in past thread/s someone was spiting about how you shouldn't get handouts, and instead save and pay for everything yourself
    -that person then comments on this thread how you should give the bride and groom ample money to start their lives together. In other words, they are entitled to handouts rather than saving and paying for everything themselves.

Am I right, Shelle?

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

delirium  (03-03-2013),HugsBunny  (03-03-2013),LaDiDah  (03-03-2013),peanutmonkey  (03-03-2013),shelle65  (03-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can I also quickly ask. There are loads of threads dedicated to how greedy people are for getting gifts at baby showers but then the expectation seems to be that you only invite someone to your wedding on the understanding that they effectively pay for their meal, drinks etc. I'm not really understanding... :-/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    It makes sense to me.

-in past thread/s someone was spiting about how you shouldn't get handouts, and instead save and pay for everything yourself
    -that person then comments on this thread how you should give the bride and groom ample money to start their lives together. In other words, they are entitled to handouts rather than saving and paying for everything themselves.

Am I right, Shelle?
    So that was a personal dig at someone? Because as a general statement it makes no sense to me. In fact it sounded bitter because she had to work for everything and is bitter someone else got money and gifts at their wedding.
    It was a great help and start and it's what families do for each other here. It's not about anyone else, it's their day and its one day in their lives. You can bag it all you like, but it won't change how we view our weddings and their symbol as the beginning of life outside our family home.

Just because you had to work for everything or didn't get any help that's your business, but rolling your eyes because other people do is just being bitter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LaDiDah View Post
    Can I also quickly ask. There are loads of threads dedicated to how greedy people are for getting gifts at baby showers but then the expectation seems to be that you only invite someone to your wedding on the understanding that they effectively pay for their meal, drinks etc. I'm not really understanding... :-/
    I don't like the idea of baby showers so I won't have one, but will still attend others. Their original tradition is for gifts and I don't agree with that.

Inviting people to your wedding is done because you want them to witness you getting married, not because you want gifts or x amount of money. I think people have their views skewed and are seeing gifts/money as an expectation at a wedding, sadly.