+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids have been to two FDC mums (first retired a year ago). They are both beautiful amazing carers, with clean houses. Obviously untidy with toys after a day of kids at care, but always hygienic!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys.
    Yes this is unhygienic for sure. I'm still torn because she seems so nice. Augh It's so confusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Please, you need to advise the schemes who the FDC carer is with. They would surely be breaching their policies and procedures!!
    This makes me sad hearing this, because I know present and ex FDC carers and they were all great.

It's still meant to be a business, so professionalism should be shown in all aspects of the environment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wanted a fdc for dd but there was none in our area so went with traction dc having worked in child care and having had family in the fdc business they should be able to explain why it was messy and dirty ... Was it just that day or is it always like that etc ... I know when my aunt used to do fdc she would clean the house before and after the kids were in bed or prospective families came ... If she didn't think she would have time or it had been to full on a day she would excuse the mess and explain as there house had old carpet so look worse than it was ..... The bonus I found with going to a dcc was that its helping dd with educational skills as well some fdc just leave the kids to play and don't educate them some are great ESP if the careers are trained themselves .... I'd maybe go through the house again but see if you can go through during the day to see how it is run .... I like to do the unannounced visit as they can't fake anything .... It comes down to gut feeling if the fdc does feel right don't do it and make yourself wonder

Thanks
    Reviews
    I run a family day care centre in melbourne and take pride in the environment I provide for the Children. A family day care home should be clean, reasonably tidy (taking into consideration toys & activities taking place if you visit whilst kids are in care). i often have dishes on my bench, bit of dirt the children have tracked in from the garden and toys like any busy home but my floor gets cleaned & swept throughout the day, and play surfaces and tables are wiped down whenever i get a spare minute. my priority is the care of the children if the immediate mess isn't dangerous or harmful to the children (ie spills on floor) then mess is fun! i teach the children to tidy up after themselves & they all help wipe down tables (as best as toddlers do!). You should expect a family daycare home to be well maintained. The gardens should be clean & well kept. You can obviously tell whether its just a mess that the educator hasn't had time to tidy up or if its a dirty home. In my home the children leave at 6 but my workday is nowhere near over, i have to prep meals & activities for the next day, tidy up & cleaning my home for the next day. Our homes are a reflection of the service we offer and it should be important for an educator to provide children with a clean & safe place to play. I know how difficult it is to find good quality care and as nice as the educator may seem I would follow your gut instinct, you want to be completely happy sending your child there each day. Personally i wouldnt feel comfortable leaving my child with someone who had a filthy home because I'd be worried about their hygiene standards towards the children. My expectations from family daycare would be a clean (not always tidy) safe environment, fully equipped with plenty of toys and activities to entertain various aged children, a good sized indoor/outdoor play space and quiet sleep rooms for children to sleep, those are obviously minimum requirements. I'd also be looking at the routine, curriculum they offer, whether they do activities outside of the home & most important the comfort and communication I have towards the educator. Good luck with your search, you need to visit a lot of different educators to realise that the standards differ immensely from person to person. I know many of my families had just about given up on finding family day care after being discouraged by what other educators had to offer.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonzaway69 For This Useful Post:

LowAMHonly25yo  (10-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe revisit at a different time of the day, you may have just caught a bad time.
    If it was me i couldn't feel comfortable even if it was just clutter ( defiantly not if it was actual filth).
    Clutter means a lot of hazards- increase fire risk, increase trip/ fall hazards, increase risk for places for pests to hide etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter has just finished with our Steiner family day care (only because we are moving next week). We have LOVED our carer. She is the most amazing woman. She really understands the young child and is so warm and loving with the children (and the parents too!!!!).
    She is VERY qualified as she has both the TAFE certifications and has done the two year Steiner teacher training (and does regular training on top of that!!!!!!).
    Also her house is immaculate. There are never toys all over the place (the children know exactly where each toy lives and they put them back when they are done). And it's always clean.
    The local council who run the family day care scheme regularly visit the house unannounced and we get written reports from them about our child!!!!!
    I know each FD is different but our experience has been totally amazing and our daughter has thrived. In saying that I had know the carer for two years before my daughter started so already knew how wonderful she is. As PP said you have to trust your instincts. I wouldn't send my child to a dirty place I just couldn't do it. Good luck.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Loulabelle For This Useful Post:

Euterpe  (10-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. I went with my gut and didnt send ds there. It was actual filth like It has been there a while not just messy from toys etc.. I understand if it was just toys everywhere.
    I ended up visiting another Fdc and it was completely the opposite! So clean and tody. Backyard was kept in good shape. So so good and the lady was so caring. So I'm glad I found this other place because I would have had a bad idea of what Fdc is from my first experience.
    Don't know how other parents would send their kids to the dirty house.. It was way over the top dirty..unless desperate of course.
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't send my kids to a place that was dirty if she can't even be bothered cleaning then how will she be bothered to look after my kids.
    Toys around are expected but dirty floors etc hell no.
    She is running a business I wouldn't care how nice she is to me it would send alarm bells. What else can't she be bothered doing?
    Common sense would tell you that having a day care will cause a lot of mess in your house. Cleaning up is part of the job, what parent wants their kid sitting on a dirty floor or couch.
    To me she would comes across as lazy and that's not the type of person I would want looking after my kid.