+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Family daycare what should it be like

I have been having trouble with my daycare so looked at family daycare.
    I went to a lady last night to see her house etc..
    Her house was very dirty.. The area the kids would play in was pretty dirty like stains on the couches dirt on floor and very messy. Messy as inning just toys but her whole house was messy with papers and books everywhere

The lady was very nice and caring herself I just wish her house wasn't so gross.
    My mum said maybe that means she focuses more on the kids than cleaning which could be true but still I want my son going somewhere clean too.

It seems its too much to ask for. Clean and caring Childcare

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't send my kids to a place that wasn't clean and tidy - just my personal view.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (10-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Such a violation from a childcare workers point of view. Hygiene and general cleaning practices have to be upheld with small children in the house that you are being PAID to care for.

Mess as in toys. Not so bad. Mess as in filth, violation and I wouldn't send my children there.

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Such a violation from a childcare workers point of view. Hygiene and general cleaning practices have to be upheld with small children in the house that you are being PAID to care for.

Mess as in toys. Not so bad. Mess as in filth, violation and I wouldn't send my children there.

Also cleaning is a good time to bond with children and explain to them why it is important to pick food up off the ground and why we don't trek dirt in the house etc. It is another learning experience, the children always asked why we were cleaning and then were excited to help.

I would tell her that you would love to send your child there but are worried about the mess due to germs etc and see how she reacts.

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't be going back there. Trust your initial impression, you felt this way for a reason

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think that you should trust your initial impression. Mums instinct. Listen to it. I was looking for daycare centers up until yesterday. There wasn't too much wrong with them but they weren't what I wanted for *my* child. They didn't wow me.
    I found one yesterday that wowed me and I cannot wait for him to start. You need to find a place where you'll feel most comfortable leaving him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The family daycare I used required the carers to keep the main areas of the house clean. Family day carers are running a small business from their home, under the "Family Day Care" banner, so they are supposed to abide by certain rules.
    I have used several carers in my area, they always had very clean and hygienic looking houses. Most even had separate toy areas for the kids they cared for. I would not have felt comfortable leaving my kids there otherwise.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was having his discussion with a friend today actually.

My experience with family daycare are not good ones.

The carer frequently pulled out of care and with no backup carer I still had to take time off work not only for my daughters ailments but also the carers too!

Then with my younger child I explored a local one and I too saw that it was filthy with the nap room full of mattresses strewn all over the floor and the area the kids played had no structure or function essentially it was a pile of kids dumped in one cornered off area of the house. Needless to say my daughter did not go there and I took them both to traditional proper care.

I don't trust family daycares ( by trust I mean trust that I won't be let down)
    And I don't think they offer the same level of education and learning as traditional centers.

That's my opinion though and I say this only having experienced what I have, and I know probably not all family daycares are like this but it's all I've seen so obviously that's why my opinion is formed. I apologize in advance if I offend.
    Last edited by Twoalready; 27-02-2013 at 19:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys. Yeh I was hoping inside the house was clean when I pulled up cuz the outside was very unkept too.
    It's really unfortunate because I can't find anywhere in my area that is great..
    I don't want to go too far out as its not me that drops ds so I don't want to put them out too much either.
    But i will see a bit further out and hope there is something decent!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son has gone to 2 fdc homes (because we moved house). The first was very clean and professional. When we moved I still wanted to use fdc as I wasn't a fan of any of the centres I looked at. We got a spot with the lady my son now goes to and to be honest first impressions weren't good as it was messy and dirty. We decided we'd give it a go anyway as we really preferred the fdc option and we figured we'd change if we didn't like it. Well a year later we are very happy. My DS is so loved and happy and she's so flexible and doesn't charge extra if we are late etc. It's still dirtier than I'd like but my son loves it there and in all other ways it's perfect. I'd say not to judge too much on cleanliness as other things are way more important. If there aren't any other negatives give it a go.