+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep - I have taken days off to mind either of my girls if sick etc. DH's work is very family friendly and since he has about a gazillion carers/sick days accrued he usually is the one to take the day off. The only times I do take the day off if he is away which is fairly often unfortunately.

For my work - they are ok with you taking time off too look after kids... it is family friendly but they are even happier if you make up the time elsewhere. I had to take yesterday off to mind my DD2 as she was teething really badly and quite upset at daycare on monday. But work is happy for me to go in on sunday to make up my time.

hope your bubba is getting better VP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you're a good worker VP I'm sure your colleagues know it and wouldn't judge you based on a couple of weeks of a few absences! Don't worry about it and don't feel guilty! Unless you really are a bludger and take lots of time off

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Wtf? I hope they got put in their place...
    Certainly did and were threatened with a discrimination case against them but in the end DH just moved to a better workplace.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm looking for work at the moment and so many of the job ads just scream "Breeders need not apply". I am looking for part time (20-30hrs/wk) and many of the positions ask that you be available for a rotating roster from 7am-7pm monday to Friday. It is very hard to work child care around this kind of roster and for this reason I have not bothered to apply for many of these jobs. Also, I don't have on-call Nanna's to help look after dd, and dh works full time. Makes it so hard to find a suitable job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My workplace is (usually) alright about me taking time off for the kids. However when I applied for a promotion when DS was about 1, i was basically given word (though of course not officially!) that I was passed over due to the amount of time I'd had off for him over the winter (about 4 months before that). At the time I was a single parent, both my parents worked full time (and it's not their job to care for my child/ren anyway) and DS was just going through his first winter in childcare.. Managed to get a bad cold once and THREE separate lots of conjunctivitis. And all up I'd probably only had about 8 days off all up since returning to work when he was
    4 months old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I'm looking for work at the moment and so many of the job ads just scream "Breeders need not apply". I am looking for part time (20-30hrs/wk) and many of the positions ask that you be available for a rotating roster from 7am-7pm monday to Friday. It is very hard to work child care around this kind of roster and for this reason I have not bothered to apply for many of these jobs. Also, I don't have on-call Nanna's to help look after dd, and dh works full time. Makes it so hard to find a suitable job.
    Sounds similar to my situation. I am Diploma qualified in Childcare and don't have grandparents or DS's father to call on to help with Childcare ie drop off or pick ups. Also I really can't work full time due to health reasons and I'm finding it hard to get some reasonable paid work.
    The other thing is that I don't want to change my son's centre to where I'd work because he has been at the one he goes to since he was almost 2yrs old and he would do better if I'm not at the same centre; he'd just want to be with me all the time.
    Then of course if my son is sick I have to take the time off as I have no one else to take him and I feel bad if I had to as don't like spreading germs. But even if I lived closer to my parents, they both work so I couldn't really ask them to take time off to.
    It can be hard being a parent

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    While I agree with needing to take days off to care for sick kids I also see it from the employers position being in a management position.

We used to have a staff member who had a sick child every week and it made it very hard to run a small business. Not that we ever stopped her but it does make it hard.

What does frustrate me though is when the same parent is the one to take the time off every time even though the other parent has a job where they could do it just as easily.

Having said that i understand some parents cant take the time off so it always need to be the other one.

We will be in this situation when i return to work in a couple weeks. Dh is a managing pharmacist and most days of the week he is the only one on. Which makes it hard to take time off when sick as the store cant open without him. So it will likely be me most of the time.

Thankfully we are lucky and my mum has offerred to mind ds while i work 2 days a week so if he is sick with just a cold she can still look after him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work 3 days per week, and even though I get NO flack from my boss or other staff if I take a sick day, I still feel like a horrible bludger if I do! It's silly isn't it. Stupid guilt. My kids will always take priority over work though, and my boss is well aware of that.

I generally take the kids to the doc and get a docs cert just to make me feel better and prove to boss man that I'm not just taking the day for the hell of it. I often bring my sicky in to work with me too if I just have a couple of things I know I need to get done before I leave for the day and take them to the doc, just so boss man sees I do care and make an effort.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been back at work four weeks to a new job (although I worked there before so they know I'm not a bludger) and have already had to take one day off... I worked there almost three years before with only one sick day! And when you work three days but can only do two the work just piles up!!!

It's tricky that's for sure.