+ Reply to Thread
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Ohss

Tell me about it, how to prepare for it, and any tips of the trade!

I feel like I should prepare for it before EPU, just in case it visits me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi rainbow, I had ohss after epu. I was told it is when fluid leaks out of your blood vessels into the body. My first symptom was major abdominal pain, as though I was doing 100 situps. Not sure if this was related to ohss or because I was pregnant, without knowing yet, but I couldn't keep any food down.
    I also found it hard to breathe lying down flat so had to sleep sitting up.
    You would think all that would click with me but I didn't go to the Dr till I had to for my bt at the fertility clinic and from there I was sent straight to the hospital.
    It turned out fine, just had to stay in hospital till the fluid started to come out thru peeing, sorry if TMI.
    Hope all goes well with your epu and you get a bfp soon. If ohss does happen, don't worry, it goes away and I heard getting it is a good indicator of being pregnant

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just realised I didnt give any tips, sorry but I had no idea what to do about it during because I didn't know what it was. I just thought I was feeling unwell after the Ivf rollercoaster ride of needles, us, epu and et.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have plenty of electrolyte drinks ready to go when you get home, and allow the nurse to give you pain relief to take home.
    My ohss pain didn't kick in until about 3pm. I had epu at 8am. By 3pm I was in excruciating pain and couldn't move or get out of bed. The panadeine forte didn't help at all. My husband tried to get hold of my fs, but he didn't answer the phone so we called the ambulance. Morphine helped!! Ended up in hospital for 2 days, not fun at all.

In hindsight, I was very bloated and tender around the ovaries, and I belong to pretty much every high risk factor group for ohss, so I should have known it was going to happen.

Have you checked your e2 levels? They can also give a good clue to whether you are at risk.

But basically, if you get it, you just need to wait it out, and unfortunately you will probably miss your ET, and all embryos will be frozen.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask.

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had it with ds2 but didn't get it until the embryo was transferred. I was very bloated, looked like I was 4 myths pregnant. I was crampy and uncomfortable but I did get bfp I was at risk of dvt so had to take aspirin. It subsided eventually, just have to drink lots of water and eat small meals. I was told not to be inactive for too long re the dvt risk. My ovaries took months to settle down, they were huge.

My friend on the other hand had a very severe case and was rushed to hospital and on morphine and on hospital for 2 weeks. She got it after she was pregnant too. But happy to report all ok in the end and she is due to have bub in 4 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes my E2 levels are "perfect" apparently.

I am trying to mentally prepare myself for missing out on ET if I have it.

But I have heard electrolyte drinks, protein and salt are good to have to help it out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Rainbow!

I was absolutely PETRIFIED of the possibility of OHSS, got lots of info from the FS and they reccomend 3 litres of water a day (for two weeks after EPU) and lots of protein. So i ate chicken and eggs like they were going out of fashion!

Gatorade helped also with electrolytes and also because quite frankly sometimes water gets boring. I also stocked up on Coconut Water as it apparently has 5 types of electrolytes in it.

Try not to stress over every little thing you feel. Remember it is normal to feel pain and discomfort after EPU.. If you just keep drinking lots to flush out everything you will be fine! fingers crossed x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks HFB! I will stock up on all thee things! I am thinking boiled eggs for snacks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi, I had OHSS the cycle before I fell pregnant with DD#1. PP's have given you good tips.

Try not to stress, you will feel pain after the EPU. Its really only if the pain gets worse not better and you get a lot of fluid and of course if breathing doesn't seem right. But yeah the morphine helps. I ended up in hospital, fluid around the heart etc, so not fun. Couldn't do ET of course. But I fell pregnant with DD#1 the very next cycle.

After getting it once I was TERRIFIED of getting it again. Didn't get it that next cycle or the years it took us when trying again.

Goodluck